Chapter 6

Magnets 6

Chapter 6

We got on the hovercraft and went back to the Capitol. The whole time, Marvel looked like he was working up the nerve to ask me something, but as soon as we landed he sprinted away to his mentor. I walked out and saw my mentor, my Aunt Johanna. She had helped me so much through the Games.

"Aunt Johanna!" I ran at her and hugged her. I didn't think I'd ever see her again. She hugged me for a long minute.

"You made it," She grinned at me. Aunt Johanna was abrasive at first, but reliable. She also didn't like showing emotion. She wasn't good at that. "Come on. You're getting your scars removed, and since you're a little malnourished, they're going to give you some special Capitol formula."

She led me into the Training Center; the same building we'd stayed in before the Games, the one Silas and I had become friends in. Aunt Johanna grabbed my shoulder and steered me into some Capitol lab. They made me lay down on a table, and I began to panic.

"No! Let me go!" My shoulder began dripping blood on the table. I winced through the pain.

"Stop!" Aunt Johanna insisted. She gripped my injured shoulder and I howled in pain. What if I woke up different? What if they messed with my mind? What if they changed me into a Capitol killing machine?

"Let go!" I howled in misery. She released my shoulder and I slumped back on the table, panting. They were about to put me under, but a doctor came up to me.

"Okay, we're going to erase your hip scar, but we can't erase your shoulder scar yet, because it's not healed. We'll heal it while we fix your hip scar, and then we can erase your shoulder scar."

"No!" I thrashed again, and he held me down. "I want to keep my shoulder scar!" I insisted. The man stared at me for a long second and nodded.

"All right." Then my body slipped into a deep, induced sleep, and I didn't wake until morning.

In the morning, I went to find Aunt Johanna. "Where's Blight?" I asked about the mentor for the boys.

"He went back to District Seven when Chandler died." In the back of my mind, I registered that Chandler was the boy from my district.

"So, how long will we stay in the Capitol?"

"A week. You have an interview in three days, then in four days, you'll have your crowning ceremony."

"So what do I have to do for three days until the interview?"

"Get to know your co-Victor," Aunt Johanna suggested sarcastically. I frowned, but went to go and see Marvel. I took the elevator to the first floor and knocked on the door.

"What?" came the harsh reply.

"I-it's just me," I stuttered. The door opened and a young man, maybe twenty-four, opened the door.

"Who's me?" He glared up and down at me. I gulped nervously.

"Roman. Is, uh, Marvel here?"

"So what if he is?"

"I want to talk to him." There was all of a sudden, a familiar face at the rude man's elbow.

"Hey, can we go up to your floor?" He asked me. I nodded, and Marvel stepped out, closing the door behind him. We rode in silence up the elevator and into my room. We sat on the couch in the living room and faced each other awkwardly.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" He asked me.

"Um, I don't know, I wanted to get to know each other."