Chapter 5

Magnets 5

Chapter 5

Four days later, there was a feast. Neither of us went. We didn't need anything. We were sitting outside eating when it began to rain. And it poured. All we could do was watch from the top of the cliffs for hours, from morning to about four, the rain never ceasing but coming down in harsh droves.

When it finally stopped, the cave was flooded so much the water almost touched the roof. We couldn't stay. Silas could swim, but I couldn't. Good thing we had our backpacks with all our stuff in it.

"What do we do?" asked Silas.

"We do what they want," I answered. "We go where the action is." We decided to go to the Cornucopia. Along the way, it got very dark. Pitch-black, 3 am, can't-see-in-front-of-your-nose-dark. Silas and I didn't notice for awhile, because we were still debating which tributes were left.

"Katniss, Marvel, Cato, and Thresh. The strongest tributes. We're just evasive and they want to see two more deaths until the finale." Silas' words were harsh, but they were true, and I knew I wouldn't survive this night.

Marvel POV~

She was alive. Roman, the girl I owed my life to, was alive. They wanted her for the finale. The Capitol didn't think she would win. I didn't think she would win. She was a squeamish, sensitive girl, and the only reason she and that curly-haired blond boy were still alive was because they were so sneaky no one could find them.

If I was being totally honest with myself, I could admit every night I watched the sky with Cato. He watched for the Girl on Fire. Oh, how he wanted to kill her, torture her in the most brutal, sadistic way he could.

I watched for Roman. Being honest wasn't something I was used to, but with Roman, it was natural. I had told her exactly what I was thinking. Sure, it had scared her, but at least I wasn't giving her false promises. I wanted to make sure Roman was still alive, and not just because I owed her my life. She intrigued me.

Why had she saved my life? My life, a Career's life, instead of that innocent girl I'd just killed? And why hadn't she defended herself against the Girl on Fire? I wanted to ask her, but I didn't think I would be able to. I was jolted from my thoughts by an eerie howling. Cato's head jerked up, and he pulled his sword from Thresh's chest as his cannon boomed.

"What was that?" He asked me, as if I knew. I shrugged, gripping my spear a little tighter, just in case. An ugly-looking mutt with Glimmer's blonde hair and green eyes jumped out of the bushes, along with one with Clove's black hair and piercing green eyes.

We turned on our heels and sprinted flat-out as they herded us away from Thresh's body and towards the Cornucopia. Cato had a bit of a hard time keeping up, since he'd sustained many injuries from fighting Thresh close-up. I, being a distance person, had received a few minor scratches, because it soon became obvious that Cato would be the one to kill him.

The Cornucopia came into view, and as soon as we were backed against it, ready to fight, the mutts backed off. Cato looked ready to collapse.

"Look," he said, gesturing with a shaky arm. 12 burst from the woods, face streaked in tears, being chased by her lover-boy in mutt form. She held her bow clumsily, missing all her arrows except a few.

Like Glimmer and Clove, her lover-boy stopped at the edge of the clearing. It was drawing her here. The Gamemakers were drawing us all here. They wanted us to fight. This was the finale. But where was Roman and her ally?

I had to get her alone, ask the questions swirling in my mind before Cato killed her. Yes, he was bloody, beaten, and injured, but he was still the most vicious killer here. And if I could, I would save Roman. Save her once, so my debt would be repaid. Then I could kill her, guilt-free.