Chapter 16

Magnets 16

Chapter 16

Never before in my life had I so eagerly anticipated something, except maybe the Reaping, which I waited for with gritted teeth and anxiety. But going to District 1 to see Marvel was something I couldn't wait for.

I packed my bag days earlier and couldn't sleep the night before I was going. Jarrett stayed with us and was going to leave on the same train to the Capitol that I was leaving on. It made a stop in District 1, so I was good. We left early in the morning. Jarrett was chipper, but my lack of sleep was getting to me.

I dozed on the train as we made stops at every other district. Jarrett touched my shoulder as we breezed past District 2. I caught a glimpse of the streets as we zoomed by. Everything was grey. People shuffled by in regulation grey clothes. It was like they trained all the individualism out of these people.

This was where Cato came from. Normally I would be upset and hiding my face, remembering the Arena, but I must've been growing up, because I sat up straighter and held my head high.

Within the hour, the train was pulling up in the District 1 station. I grabbed my bag and stood eagerly at the door. Jarrett came over and gave me a hug. "Thank you," I whispered.

"Anytime," he whispered back. I pulled away and Jarrett went back to his seat. I exhaled a shuddering breath as the doors opened. People crowded the large train station, and there, at the front of the crowd, was Marvel. I hurled myself into his arms, which instantly closed around me. I closed my eyes and buried my face in his chest, breathing in his familiar scent of mint, cologne, and a faint sterile, Capitol smell.

He buried his face in my hair and tightened his arms around me. The people of his district were watching, though, so I pulled away. He had a huge smile on his face and grabbed my hand. I picked up my luggage, but Marvel wrestled it away from me and held it in his other hand. He swung our hands in between us and we walked to wherever his house was.

He opened the door and I stepped into his house in the Victor's Village. I heard the door close behind me and spun around, throwing my arms around him with more conviction than I did at the train station. He dropped my suitcase slowly and wrapped his arms around my waist.

I nestled my face into the crook of his neck and squeezed as tightly as I could. Finally I felt complete, after two weeks of the suffocating aloneness that Jarrett couldn't even cure, only make me temporarily forget. Finally, I held the person I loved in my arms again.

Wait, loved? I knew I liked him, but loved? I pulled back to study his features, and took a moment to go over my revelations about Marvel from that day in the Capitol, and discovered, maybe I did love him. It would explain my depression since he left, at least.

"I missed you so much," I whispered in his ear, partly because it was true and partly because I needed to distract myself from my thoughts. Marvel and I would never happen. He pulled back and kissed my forehead.

"I missed you more." I snorted. It was unlikely Corah had to come from the Capitol to help him control his depression. He took my hand again and led me into the house. "Your room is up the stairs and to the right. You can have all the time you want to get settled." I smiled.

"Thank you," I said sincerely, touched by his thoughtfulness. I went upstairs and dropped my duffel bag on the floor. Arms swinging and a song in my heart, I walked happily into the adjoining bathroom and freshened up a bit before going downstairs.

"So," I said, leaning on the counter watching Marvel bustle about in the kitchen, "when do I get to meet Jaxon?"

"He's been asking the same about you," Marvel laughed. "Tomorrow. I want you to get used to District One a little first." Once again, I was rendered speechless by his thoughtfulness.