Chapter Thirty Six | Penultimate

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take." 

~ J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King

>>•<<

"The formula is almost complete." Ratchet spoke aloud, focused on the Decepticon computer. "Shovel, are you saving each piece like I told you too!"

The Vehicon nodded, his makeshift servo resting at his side as he frantically tries to keep up with his one good servo. "I'm doing my best!"

"I think I almost have it figured out." Rafael added. "This formula isn't really complex, it's just long and tedious." His fingers flew across his keyboard, pushing his glasses up his nose in order to keep them centered.

"And once you two masterminds finish it, we will have all the energon we may ever need!" Knock Out noted.

"With the Decepticons and Autobots united, and the Synthetic Energon formula at our disposal, we will be able to restore Cybertron to its former glory." Optimus added, some  pride in his voice.

"It will make the rebuilding process much easier." Megatron put in.

"Could you all stop vocalizing? We are trying to concentrate!" Ratchet growled.

Miko stood off to the far side with Jack and his mother in her hand, the older boy looking up at her with a sad smile.

"So, you're going to Cybertron, huh?"

Miko shrugged with a grin. "It'll be like studying abroad, except I'll be on a completely different planet!" She frowned a bit. "But Optimus is going to make me continue my education, since I apparently have a lot more still to learn. That's going to be boring."

"And your parents are okay with it?" June was a little in disbelief. Letting Jack go to Cybertron for Optimus was one thing, but to let him to to Cybertron to study, and perhaps live . . . She had once said that she wouldn't mind if he went to college out of state, but out of the galaxy was a big NO.

"Agent Fowler put them in the loop. Did you know he speaks Japanese?"

Jack laughed, his mother joining in. "No, really?!"

Miko continued to smile. "They were a bit upset at first, but I promised to face time with my holoform so they would stay up to date." Her faceplates twisted into a slightly curious look, gazing over at where Raf sat with Ratchet, the youngest of them hunched over and working furiously on his laptop. "Y'know, I'm kind of surprised Raf didn't jump at the chance to go to Cybertron."

Jack shrugged. "Well, I guess he was like me. He wanted to be human again. His family was certainly happy to see him home."

"You're probably right." There was a slight pause before her lower lip plate quivered. "I'm gonna miss Earth."

Standing up, Jack wrapped his arms around her faceplate, June patting her cheek comfortingly as her son spoke. "You can always space bridge back and forth. Or take a trip on the Nemesis."

Nodding, the girl continued to sniffle. "I'll be a little homesick for a while."

"That's the bad part about traveling." Jack pulled away a bit and smiled. "Its hard to create a home away from home."

"I got it!" Ratchet announced loudly to the multitude of Cybertronians squeezed into the lab. "Rafael, we did it!!"

Knock Out was one of the first to cheer, getting a slap on the shoulder from Bulkhead (who earned a "watch the paint!" in return), Miko jumping up and down with a fist pump, almost dropping Jack and June, apologizing profusely. Soundwave was as silent as always, Bumblebee whirring with joy and hugging Arcee tightly, Starscream grinning with delight. Even Megatron and Optimus shared small smiles, Ultra Magnus resting heavily on his cane next to his commander.