Chapter Eight | Some Revelations

"At dawn of man, many words of inspiration. At the end, there will be words of revelation."

~Toba Beta

>>•<<

June sat on the couch, trembling in fear as scenarios ran through her head, images floating across her eyes of what their fates would be. She had betrayed the Autobots before, staying in contact with Megatron, but she would not abandon them. That, she decided, was worse than anything else.

He's coming, I know he is. He'll bomb us, again, and though I may not ever see Jack again . . . No, I will see him again. Just not in this life.

June Darby was never big on faith, especially after her husband left her despite months of praying to a God she hoped existed, but she wanted to continue hoping, to know that not everything was on her shoulders. Perhaps there was Primus. Could she pray to a god of a completely different species? Was he even real, like their God was supposed to be?

Well, Unicron was real, and he is supposed to be Primus' opposite, god of chaos. So, probably.

As she closed her eyes to say a little prayer a loud, warning tone fills the air. She leaps to her feet, phone clutched in hand, as Ratchet starts from his position at Ultra Magnus' bedside, optics immediately darting to the screen.

June's erratic heartbeat lasted well after she realized what had caused the alarm: Agent Fowler.

"Prime!" Agent Fowler demands angrily, dark eyes searching for the Autobot leader. "Ratchet, where is Optimus?"

"He is on a scouting mission with Shovel." Ratchet did not look pleased by Folwer's interruption and tone of voice. "What is it this time?"

"What is it? What is it?" Fowler looked ready to blow. "I'll tell you what it is! The Pentagon is going nuts! A whole fleet of jets just smashed into the Hoover Dam! And not just any jets!" Fowler promptly pulled up what looked like an awful camera shot of a flying jet, but as he clicked buttons off-screen different images appear before finally a clear one comes into view.

"Fowler, just because the kids are here doesn't mean you should be using that sort of language!" Ratchet snaps, but goes completely ignored.

"Decepticons?" A surprised Smokescreen adds. "There's nothing they could possibly want at that . . . What-chya-ma-call-it."

"Hoover Dam." Fowler seemed ready to explode. "The Hoover Dam is not just some what-chya-ma-call-it. It is the symbol of America! Of our power, our ingenuity!"

Bulkhead squints at the screen from where he had sat down. "Looks like a giant wall to me."

"No! No no no! This is a dam! It provides electricity to thousands of Americans, and water too! Gallons and gallons of it!" Fowler was definitely feeling extremely patriotic, as he slammed his fist onto the table. "And the Decepticons destroyed it!"

Arcee sat up with a grunt, helm in her hands as she mutters. "And my audio receptors are about to be destroyed by your yelling."

"So what if the Decepticons destroyed it?" Ratchet scoffs. "It can be fixed."

"Not without years worth of construction!" Fowler was beginning to look rather crazed. "Would you guys happen to have any idea why they would do such a thing?"

June was wondering the same thing herself. It made no sense, unless the Decepticons were aiming for mass destruction and panic, there was nothing there for them.