Chapter Twenty Six | Allegiance

"I no longer feel any allegiance to these monsters called human beings, despite being one myself."

~Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

>>•<<

Ultra Magnus stood high on his two pedes, however his legs shook almost uncontrollably and he had a limp, indicating that there was some pain in standing and walking. He brushed off any attempts to help, however he allowed for Ratchet to give him a large, study pole to use as a cane.

"-and I want you to use that until I deem it unnecessary." Ratchet concluded after giving Ultra Magnus a long lecture on what he could and could not do with his weak legs.

The second in command looked incredibly unhappy with this development, Optimus noticing this and carefully putting a massive hand on his shoulder.

"You have come a long way, old friend." He rumbles. "Don't let that go to waste by hurting yourself again."

"I will do my best to heal as quickly as possible." Ultra Magnus promised.

Wheeljack snorted, but it was out of good nature than anything else. "You're quite the Wrecker, Magnus. You'll be running around again in no time."

"Thank you." The commander nodded, respect for Wheeljack on his features. But then he frowned. "You gave an inexperienced Ve- Autobot grenades?"

The Wrecker had wondered how long the subject could be avoided. "It didn't feel right to have him enter the field without something besides his wits and guns. So I thought he could use some grenades."

"And he was right!" Shovel cut in. "I had to use one to fight the Predacon."

"During which you almost sent both yourself and Bulkhead to the Allspark!" Ratchet argued. "Wheeljack may have had good intentions, but they were misplaced."

"Easy on him, doc." Wheeljack replied calmly. "He wasn't hurt, and neither was Bulkhead. Don't get your panels in a twist."

Ratchet gave the Wrecker a death glare, giving Shovel a once-over. "You didn't sustain any injuries, have you?"

Shovel shook his head. "Just a few scratches. Same with Bulkhead. No big dents either."

Ratchet quickly scanned him, grunting his satisfaction. "Good. It seems you haven't suffered any internal damage either." He sighed. "And with our energon resources so low, it would make the healing process longer and harder."

"And we haven't found any new energon mines as of late." Arcee added, also muttering. "And after that trap I don't think we'll be happy to explore other mines either."

As if on cue, the monitors dinged, and when Ratchet tore his concerned gaze away from Shovel and Bulkhead (but mostly Shovel) to look, his mouth hung open a little.

"We have an energon reading."

"I know that our past experience has made us wary, but we need that energon, with our own resources now at a critical low." Optimus Prime states. "Autobots, we must be careful as to not injure ourselves, in order to preserve as much energon as possible." He turned to the swirling Groundbridge portal as Ratchet opened it. "Autobots, roll out!"

This time, Shovel did not hesitate to transform and drive with the other Autobots, Ratchet watching him go with a concerned frown. Ultra Magnus, though he wanted to go, and be useful, stayed behind, knowing he would only be a burden to the other Autobots if he tried to tag along.

They arrived at the lip of the mine entrance, peering down and watching as a small group of Vehicons carted out a few measly carts of energon. Nevertheless, it was energon they desperately needed. Optimus quickly gave the quiet orders for Arcee, Smokescreen, and Bumblebee do go around and trap the Decepticons on the opposite side, wanting as little chance for escape as possible.