Chapter Thirty Two | Redemption

"The day misspent, the love misplaced, has inside it the seed of redemption.
Nothing is exempt from resurrection."
~Kay Ryan, Say Uncle

>>•<<

Megatron . . ."

The warlord groaned, his body shifting slightly as he came to, confused for a moment as to where he was. He had been battling Jack Darby, and then-

"Megatron!"

He jerked up in surprise, optics flying open before crying out briefly in pain and shutting them again, bright light having short-circuited his sensors momentarily. Opening them again and yet holding his hand up as a shield, he glared into the light.

"Who are you?!" He demands. "And why am I not one with the Allspark?"

"The dark energon within you has tainted your spark, and kept you anchored to the world of the undead." The voice explains, echoing softly with ancient power. "For you are not alive, and yet not fully dead."

"You didn't answer my first question." He growled.

"I am Primus. Creator of your world, and your spark."

His optics widened, yet he stared at the ground, now too fearful to date look up. "Impossible!"

"And yet it is I." Primus said without much else explanation. "You have the potential for change, Megatron. Jack Darby has extinguished your spark and taken a liking to your image; which is not what I have planned for him."

"Then why don't you just change him?" Megatron growled.

"I do not like to dapple in the comings and goings of my creations, nor the creations of others." Primus explained. "Not in the direct sense. But, if you are to agree to my terms, I will make you an agent for my doings, and you will set right what you have done wrong to the humans."

Megatron tried to look up, only to hiss in pain as a light burned his optics again. "And if I refused?"

"You will be left to the mercy of Unicron." The deities' voice was reluctant, even sad. "And that is a path of unbearable pain and torture that even I would not venture towards."

The Decepticon thought for a long moment before he let out a long ex-vent, glaring at his feet. "What are your conditions?"

Primus sounded pleased. "That you will end your war with Optimus Prime. Not by surrendering, but by sharing common ground. Go back to your original beliefs of equality, justice, and peace. You do not have to lower yourself below Optimus Prime, but equate yourself to him. Cast aside your pride, your hurt, and your anger. Return to Cybertron, restore it, and establish not a dictatorship, or a monarchy, but a many faceted government that appeals to the needs of the people, not just the wants." The god then sighed. "But if you refuse these requests, and go to Unicron, I cannot save you from him."

All of what Primus had asked went against everything Megatron had been fighting for. Make himself an equal to Optimus Prime?! To not rule Cybertron and Earth? He had wanted to overthrow Cybertron's government in the first place, and now Primus wanted to reestablish it?!

"Work together with Optimus Prime to save Jack Darby, and the other humans, and I will instill upon you the title of Prime."

His train of thought stopped, and then careened. Prime? After so long, and what I've done?

But the title of Prime would give him the power he needed to be a part of Cybertron's government, to have influence over the rule making decisions. He wanted the title, coveted it. And to do one simple task would be enough to have Primus give it to him. He could "save" Jack Darby, and the other former humans. In fact, he could go a step further.