Chapter Thirty Five | Finale

"No book can ever be finished. While working on it we learn just enough to find it immature the moment we turn away from it"

~Karl R. Popper

>>•<<

Megatron was quick to act, pushing Optimus out of the flames before they permanently burned him, the Prime hot to the touch even after the brief second of flames.

The Predacon stopped, puzzled by this action, transforming into his Cybertronian mode with a growl.

"Why did you spare him? Have you not wanted Optimus Prime dead all this time?!" The Predacon flexed his claws.

"I did. But things have changed." Megatron stalked forward, not allowing himself to be intimidated by the Predacon's massive size. "And I am in need of your spark."

Predaking took a step back and placed a servo over his chest in an unconscious move to protect his precious organ. His optics narrowed. "You have changed, and I do not believe you are lord Megatron."

"Believe what you want, but it is I! Resurrected from the dead!" Megatron boasted almost proudly. "I have made a deal with Primus, one I intend to keep. Now surrender your spark, or I will cut it out by force!"

Predaking's animalistic instincts took over, his body crouching as it transformed into his Predacon form, roaring at Megatron and preparing to charge.

"It is by force then. So be it." Megatron unsheathed his sword, and then charged.

>>•<<

"How are you feeling, Jack?"

The boy grunted slightly as he shifted, the drugs clouding his processor somewhat, but it numbed the pain. "Like I've been drugged and prepped for surgery."

Ratchet did not seem amused by his quip. "But do you feel any pain? Discomfort?"

Jack shook his head. "The only reason I know my spark is beating is because of the monitor." He nodded to the screen just a bit to his right, which showed a somewhat steady, but still increasing erratic spark beat.

The medic seemed more satisfied by that answer. "Good, good. Once Megatron and Optimus get the Predacon spark, we can focus on our next step." He looked towards Arcee. "Arcee, if I am able to neutralize the infection, Jack may need a donor."

Dread flooded her systems, and it must have shown on her face, because Ratchet gave her a confused, silent question. Why didn't she want to donate? Parting with any piece of her, no matter how little or vital, scared Arcee. Even a cortical psychic patch made her feel immensely uneasy. She had to admit to herself that it was an irrational fear, yet no part of her wanted to go through with it.

"I . . . Wouldn't Optimus be the better candidate?" She suddenly blurted, too prideful to admit her fear. "He has a strong spark, and I'm sure the hole Megatron's piece left will be too big for any of my shards-"

"If you're too afraid to go through with the procedure, just say it." Ratchet almost snapped. Arcee was slightly taken aback. He just personally attacked her! The situation was stressful, but was that really necessary?

"I might have a better solution to your predicament, doctor." Shockwave spoke as he opened to doors to the medbay, June scrambling towards Jack automatically for protection, Arcee tensing considerably while the medic frowned.

"What could you possibly have that could help me?" He demanded.

Shockwave paused before speaking, his monotonous voice almost sounding condescending. "Megatron has deceived you; there is another possible way to save the experiment's life without destroying the Predacon." He paused again, for affect Ratchet assumed, the scientist a bigger drama queen than what he lead on. "We have preserved the human bodies."