Stage 31 "Trust"

In the moments where Lucas stood facing his team – a group of boys who had accepted him right from the start – he realized that over the last few months something within him changed.

Before coming to Ellison High, he would have never even given the option of trusting someone a thought. However, now that very decision was keeping him from fleeing.

Nathan moved between Lucas and the team. He let out a nervous laugh. "He was just dropping by to say goodbye."

Lucas stepped around his roommate, facing the confused boys. In a second, he made a choice he had never thought would ever cross his mind.

"I need your help," the ECHO agent uttered the words for the first time in his life.

Glances were exchanged.

The speakers crackled and the message from before broke the silence.

"Attention all students," the voice began.

Jordan, the goalie, rubbed the back of his head.

Another teammate spoke up, "let's get to the dorm first and..."

"No," Lucas cut him off, eyes on the boy he knew he needed to win over – Danny. If he got the team captain, he knew the others would follow. "I can't go there." He didn't avert his gaze once. "I need to get off campus."

Danny's eyes flickered to Nathan and then back to Lucas.

"What exactly is–"

"I can't explain it now," Lucas said. "But...it's an emergency."

Danny's eyes narrowed.

The boys behind began to murmur, some shifting nervously as they shot glances in the directions of the speakers.

They're linking things, Lucas noted. Still, he kept his eyes on the team captain, refusing to break the gaze.

Peter was the one to step forward. He turned to the other boys. "Our teammate is asking for help." He motioned to Lucas. "Have we not always lived by one rule?"

The murmurs stopped.

Peter turned to Danny. "Team comes first," he said.

From behind, Jordan nodded in agreement.

"Besides." Peter walked to Lucas and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "I still owe him big for coming back for me the night we snuck into the gym."

There was a moment of silence.

"Boys," Danny boomed.

Behind, the team straightened.

"Who's up for a little fun?" the captain asked.

Grins stretched across faces and a few chuckled.

"Bring it." Jordan cracked his knuckles.

From behind Lucas, Nathan beamed.

Lucas felt something inside him stir. A part of him hadn't expected help – and a part of him still doubted. However, he was also tired. Tired of fighting this alone.

Danny turned to the ECHO agent. "You have a plan?"

Lucas' mind immediately sprang into action, running through all possibilities of escape using the cover of the team.

"Actually..." Nathan stepped forward, hand raised. "I might have an idea."

All eyes turned to him.

"It might get us in some serious trouble though..." Nathan warned. "Especially since we'll be disobeying the order." He nodded to the speakers.

"Huh." Jordan snorted. "What are they going to do? Suspend us from the next match?" He turned to another teammate. "Who are we up against again?"