Stage 13 "Complications"

Lucas shot a look down the hall towards the lounge. Brian might be done and waiting for me... his head turned in the other direction. A larger part of him wanted to continue to play the game, to win, and yet he knew what had to be done.

Focus on the mission, no distractions. Suspicious activity must be investigated, he realized reluctantly.

"Sorry team RDT," he murmured.  "I'll try finish this fast," he added. He went back into the room and closed the door. If they have cameras and are wondering, I'll just say I was taking a dump. He came up with the alibi in a second as he headed to the bathroom. He closed the door before turning around.

Looking up, he caught sight of the opening to the vent. It was small, but he was sure he would be able to squeeze through. Lucas hesitated as he glanced down at the guns in his hands. Unnecessary bulk... he decided as he opened the door and threw one back into the room. He paused as he turned the other in his hand. But in the case someone catches me in the vent...I need an excuse for being there.

Closing the door, he tucked the other in his pants. He decided that he could just say he was tracking down other players.

Not waiting any longer, He put down the toilet seat and stood on it. Reaching up, he put his fingers through the grate covering the vent. He was grateful for the gloves he wore. Pushing, he tried to pry the grate off. It wouldn't move.

Lucas wasn't fazed. He pushed harder. It gave way and he lifted the grate up. Slowly, he put it down in the vent, next the hole he had opened.  Without a second thought, he pulled himself up, through the hole. It was a tight squeeze, but he made it.

Scooting to the side, he closed the hole up once more. He then turned his head to stare down the length of the vent. It was lit up by the constant openings above other rooms. Lucas lifted the mask up for a better view. As much as he wanted to get rid of it and the helmet, he knew he would have to keep his paintballing equipment in the case that he needed it for his cover.

Lucas managed to force himself on his hands and knees with some scrapping in the narrow space. He winced at any sound. Succeeding in his task, he began to make his way down the vent. The narrow space didn't bother him. He had learned to cast away the fear of enclosed spaces. There had been a mission or two where he had had to squeeze into a space almost too small for him for a few hours. His training had prepared him for it, helping him learn tricks on how to stop his muscles from cramping and how to keep his limbs from falling asleep.

As he crawled on, he passed by one room after the other. He had no doubt on if he was going in the right direction or not. He had studied even the lay out of the vents well back at headquarters.

I wonder if Brian is waiting... the thought caught him by surprise and Lucas quickly shook it off. Keep your mind on the task ahead. Never stop focusing for even a second, he lectured himself.

It was when the neared the lounge of that dorm wing that he heard voices. There was no large opening here, only the slightest crack in the vent. Lucas made certain to not make a sound as he approached it.

"No...we shouldn't...not a good idea..." the words drifted to his ears.

Lucas stopped by the crack. He realized at once that it wasn't enough to let him see those below. If he could not hear, Lucas would read lips, and if he could not see, then he would simply use his ears. Leaning down, Lucas put his ear on the crack.

"I don't think it should be moved," the voice spoke.

Lucas' mind sprang into action at once, filtering it through the voices he had heard so far. He couldn't think of a match.