Stage 24 "The Trail Gets Warmer"

Lucas rubbed the back of his head while shooting Banster a sheepish smile. "Looks like I'm not going to get out of going on the ice?"

Laughter rumbled from the captain's chest. "We will get you on there. You might as well make it sooner than later." His eyes twinkled.

The E.C.H.O. agent nodded. "Might as well...it's not like I have anything to loose...other than my dignity."

Banster slapped a hand on his back. "That's what I like to hear." He nodded to the open locker at the back. "So, Auden's gear it is."

"Sure thing."

"I can help you figure out how to put it on."

Lucas' mind raced. He resisted the urge to let his eyes dart to the vent. Instead he flashed a lopsided grin. "I'll figure it out."

Baster hesitated.

"Besides," Lucas' grin widened, "You might want to get some more practice in before I come out there."

The hockey player chuckled at that. "I'll be sure to warn the others." He turned to the door, water bottle in one hand. "Don't take too long or we might get too good practicing."

Lucas nodded. As soon as the other player disappeared he turned and headed for Auden's locker. His eyes darted to the cameras before turning to the vent. I need a blind spot... The idea hit him as soon as his eyes landed on the hockey stick. Walking over he casually picked it up. A moment was taken to look it over. Next, he swung it through the air, as though testing it out. He repeated the action, moving closer to the camera. Two inches to the right, he calculated.

The stick swung again as he took on the expression of an excited teen trying out different moves. He raised it high. Whack. It hit the side of the camera with enough strength to move it a couple of inches in the planned direction. Lucas froze. Guilt settled on his face as he didn't let the acting stop.

"Shoot," he muttered just in case there were sound sensors.

Satisfied, he slid up to the door. A quick glance out showed the abandoned hallway. Not losing a moment, Lucas shut the door. He propped the stick against it, before turning. There wasn't much time.

He grabbed another stick and used it to open the vent. As it was out of reach he took a few steps back. Running forward, he used the lockers to propel himself into the air. His fingers latched onto the edge of the vent and he pulled himself up within moments. He replaced the vent briefly before turning in the dark. For a moment he sat, letting his eyes adjust. He didn't have any equipment with him, but he had dealt with having nothing before.

Eyes adjusted he began to move forward. The move was stealthy, not a sound to be heard as he made his way along the vent. He came to a halt when the way split in two. Hesitating his eyes darted from one to the other as he listened. Other than rushing air there was nothing. Lucas frowned. His eyes narrowed as he strained his ears.

In the end he opted for left. When in doubt, always go left, he thought to himself. It was odd, but had actually saved him on several occasions. No sooner did he round the corner than he paused. It was faint but there was a buzzing sound coming from ahead.

Lasers... the realization his him. Lucas' eyes scanned the area, but as expected he couldn't see a thing. If I had... he shoved the thought aside. There was no use in thinking about what he didn't have. But one thing was for sure. Extra security measures...there's something here.

Thump.

Lucas stiffened.

Thump.

It took him but a second to go back the way he had come. There was someone in the vents, he was certain of it. Shoving aside the memory how last time in this situation he was shot, he took the vent branching to the right. Though he moved quickly he still managed to do so silently.