Stage 18 "From Crazy to Bizarre"

Someone slapped the back of Lucas' head, and just like that he came out of the stupor he seemed to have slipped in. He shook his head once before looking back up. Nathan was standing there, still waving while displaying a toothy grin.

And then Lucas' legs moved without his command. They took him forward, straight towards his roommate and the cause of his beating heart. The going was a bit slower with his crutches.

"Hey, dude," Nathan threw out an arm and snaked it around Lucas' shoulder. He turned to the girl that stood before them. "Amber, meet Lucas. Lucas, Amber."

Lucas slowly lifted his eyes. I'm going crazy, he decided. I mean seriously man... His eyes travelled to the cause of his beating heart. It's not like you haven't been around girls... and some of them had been drop dead gorgeous. Yet, the moment their eyes met he felt as though he were adrift in the middle of an ocean with no life boat.

"Hi." Amber stuck out her hand.

Lucas barely noticed as he lifted his own and shook hers.

"Hi," his voice sounded distant to him.

"Amber's my little sis." Nathan beamed.

Sister? Realizing he was still shaking her hand, Lucas quickly let go.

"I'm only a year younger," Amber turned to her brother. "So I'm not that much younger."

"Psh, I'm still the wiser."

"More like the trouble maker."

Lucas didn't say a word as the two siblings bickered. He couldn't explain the feeling of relief at the fact that Nathan and Amber were siblings.

"What happened?"

Lucas realized Amber had addressed the question to him. She nodded at the crutches.

'Oh..." Lucas looked down at them. "Ah...um...football practice."

"He pulled a muscle." Nathan's arm disappeared from around Lucas' shoulder. "You guys saw my goal, right?"

Lucas nodded.

"It was a pretty good one," Amber told him.

"I know...right?" Nathan grinned. When someone yelled his name he shot a glance behind him. "Oh shoot. Looks like I better hit the showers." He turned back around. "How about the three of us grab something to eat before Amber has to return to Bel?"

"Uh..." Amber began. Lucas was aware of the unsure glance she shot in his direction.

"Maybe you should..." Lucas tried.

"I insist, as a champion. I'll only be ten minutes." Nathan lifted a hand. "Wait for me," he put his thumb and index finger together to form a circle, "okay?" He was gone before Amber or Lucas could saw a word.

Shoot, Lucas thought as he realized he was alone with Nathan's sister.

Amber had begun to play with her fingers, a sign of nervousness. Lucas was aware that her eyes flickered all around, as though looking for a familiar face. "Soooo..." she lifted her eyes to meet his and he froze. "Nathan has told me quite a bit about you."

Snap out of it. Lucas took in a deep breath through his nose. Women had never been an issue, he had always been the one to infatuate them, not the other way around. Use your training...it'll help you get over this, he decided. The breath helped somewhat and he felt more composed. A dazzling smile made it to his face.

"He's told me a lot about you too," he said.

Amber's forehead knitted together slightly, the reaction was not at all what Lucas had expected. It caught him off guard as she stared at him, looking as though she were trying to read him. Then, the look on her face was gone. Instead, a smile replaced it.