Stage 16 "Fixing the Problem"

Lucas decided that doing anything at the moment would only cause suspicion. He made his way to lunch, thinking through his next step the whole way through. By the time he got changed, took a painkiller, and headed for practice he had decided on a plan.

Most of the team was already on the football pitch. They stood in silence as coach Duke paced back and forth before them.

"What did I miss?" Lucas whispered to Jordan.

The goalie twisted his gloves in his hands, eyes never straying from their coach. "Not much, yet. He looks like he's about to blow a fuse though."

Lucas' eyes returned to their coach. He noted the red face, the rapid breathing and the bulging veins in the man's neck. Those signs were clue enough of what was to follow. The assistant coach stood to one side, clipboard clutched in one hand as he watched.

"Dude, I'm so screwed," Nathan hissed as he sidled up to Lucas. "Tell me you have a way out of this."

"Actually." Lucas didn't even shoot him a glance as he spoke, eyes still glued to the coach who had added in a stomping motion to his pacing. The man made Lucas picture and angry T-Rex. "I have another favor."

Nathan let out a load groan, making eyes from all around turn to him.

"Shh," someone warned.

Lucas furrowed his forehead. It seemed that no one wanted the coach's pacing to be disturbed, or perhaps they were trying to put off what was to come after.

"We need to fake an injury, remember?" Lucas murmured so that only Nathan could hear.

"You seriously want to do that?"

"You seriously think I can play in my state?" Lucas winced as he said it.

Nathan turned his head to the side and squeezed his eyes shut, pinching the bride of his nose as he did so.

"You wanted to help," Lucas reminded him.

Nathan just lifted a hand, making an okay sign.

The coach stopped pacing and the boys before him all tensed visibly as the air seemed to crackle with anticipation.

"Are you all crazy!" Coach Orion exploded.

Everybody, including the assistant coach, visibly flinched.

"First you decide to turn the swim team blue!"

There was a voice of protest, silenced by another player who clamped his hand over the first's mouth.

"Then you decided to kick around a ball indoors and set off the fire alarm!" His smoldering eyes turned on Nathan who shrank back so that Lucas ended up strategically before him.

"What's more, last week two of you were caught out after hours, and we're not even half way through the school year!" Coach Orion resumed his pacing. "I thought we had this nonsense settled last year after the talent show incident."

Someone chuckled.

The coach froze and whirled around, eyes scanning the boys before him for the culprit. His eyes narrowed when none would meet his eyes, all staring at the ground in what looked like shame. Lucas found himself copying his teammates while trying to look as remorseful as possible.

"I should punish all of you right here and now!" Coach Orion cleared his throat. "Unfortunately...we have an important game tomorrow."

The assistant coach nodded in agreement and there were sighs of relief all around.

"Therefore," coach Orion stopped pacing once more to look over the team before him, "I have decided that this is the last time I am letting you off the hook."