Prologue

E.C.H.O.

Elite Controlled High-risk Organization

The room had no windows. Its walls were white and the floor a murky grey. All the furniture, consisting of a table and two chairs, were made of steel. There wasn't one speck of dirt. Stanly sat at the table. His brown hair was showing streaks of gray. Conner stood some way to the side, holding a remote which controlled the flat TV screen before them.

"It's a high paying client," Conner was saying. His black hair was neatly combed and, like Stanly, he was wearing a suit and tie. "One of our highest yet."

"Infiltration, surveillance, and retrieval?" Stanly asked.

"Yes, sir," came the reply.

"It sounds like it'll take time. The location especially makes it difficult...we'll put one of our young ones on it." Stanly leaned back, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Who do we have available?"

In response, Conner motioned to a lady standing outside of the door. She came in with a large folder in her hands which she placed before Stanly. Without a word, she scurried out of the room. Stanly slowly opened the file. A page with the picture of a girl in her teens stared back at him. She looked to be no older than sixteen.

"Gretchen is out on a mission...in Paris," Conner told him.

Stanly flipped to the next file.

"Carlos is in Chicago. Surveillance."

He flipped to the next.

"Too young," Stanly said himself as he flipped the page to a different picture. "Too messy with jobs." He was already by another picture. "Isn't Richard MIA?"

Conner peered at the picture. "He was found...but he's currently out of action."

Stanly grunted as he turned the page again. "I thought this one died."

"No, sir. Lilly had a break down after her last job...she's being reassessed right now..."

"Ah." Stanly nodded. He turned the page again and paused at another picture of a boy. "What about Lucas?"

Conner hesitated.

"He gets the job done and his identity's still uncompromised as well...if I've heard correct." Stanly looked up. "I believe he's available from tomorrow on. Besides, it's time to give him another job; that boy needs to be kept busy." He closed the file, showing that he had made his mind up. "Where is he?"

"Lucas?" Connor tapped the remote against his leg. "If I remember correctly, he's in the middle of a job." He paused. "Sir, are you sure?"

Stanly raised his eyebrows.

"He may be capable...but...do you really think he's suited for this particular job?"

"Yes." Stanly smiled as he folded his hands. "He's one of our best...even if at times he does things a bit on the extreme side." He pushed his chair back and stood up. "Contact him and let him know. He's to come back for briefing as soon as he's done with his current job."

Conner watched Stanly leave. Once he was sure he was gone, he let out a long sigh. "I certainly hope he's the right choice for this," he muttered.

********************************************************************************************************

Lucas was hanging upside down from the vent. A ski mask was pulled over his face. He took a moment to reach up to his wrist. He fiddled with the digital watch, the black gloves making it slightly more difficult, and set it to countdown from eight minutes.