Chapter Nineteen - The Winter Ball and A Mission

(Edited)

Two months passed like a blur, three months since being in California and Jesse was getting herself ready for the winters ball, the dress was already picked out and though she didn't want to go, it was mandatory, so she had no choice. Being the boss of your own team meant Jesse was often pulled into charity work, which she didn't mind but that meant being involved with people for their political agendas which she wished she could avoid like the plague.

The day of the ball had Jesse verging on insanity, for the past two months when someone mentioned the event, Jesse's mind went into a spin, still only knowing how to put her hair in a ponytail and a bun, and her nails only ever fancy three months ago, Jesse called in the cavalry.

They came and went and before Jesse changed she got her son dressed in his little custom suit, dress pants, white shirt and a waistcoat, there was no point in a tie and a jacket, he would be too hot, he would only take it off when Jesse wasn't looking and it end up on the floor somewhere.

His shoes were as shiny as they could be and had Jensen looking at himself in the mirror for a few minutes which allowed Jesse to change.

Her dress was a black spaghetti netted dress that flowed down to red, hair curled and half pinned up, she gave one last look in the mirror to ensure her makeup wasn't smudged before grabbing her bag which had a change of clothes for Jensen if needed and other things required by Jesse whenever she left the house.

Locking the door, Jesse scooped Jensen up into her arms and headed to her truck. The venue the ball was held at had valet parking, so she didn't have to worry about it.

A line of car was waiting in front of Jesse when she arrived at the venue. When she got out the truck, Jesse handed the keys over and she carried Jensen up the steps of the building.

When she got to the small red carpet she was attacked with flashing lights from cameras.

"Since when did camera's come to a ball?" Jesse wonders out loud.

"Since the mayor decided to join us along with a few other people" a voice spoke form behind Jesse.

Jesse jumped in surprise at the ne voice. It was Chief Edgar's voice.

"Don't do that" Jesse scolded.

Edgar chuckled, "Sorry" he said, but the look on his face as he held back a laugh told Jesse otherwise.

"May I escort you in?" Edgar asks.

Jesse nods and wraps her free hand around her boss' arm. The cameras continued to flood Jesse with flashes, she hoped to get into the building without being stopped but that wasn't going to happen.

Someone stepped in front of the trio blocking them from continuing to walk.

"Ah, Martin Edgar, it's been a while" the man says as he greets his old friend.

Edgar reaches out to shake the man's hand.

"Samuel, its been a while, how've you been?" Edgar asks.

Their conversation was brief and Chief Edgar introduced Jesse "This is Jesse Coleson, she is in charge of my Alpha team".

Jesse holds out her hand to shake Samuel's. "Nice to meet you" she says politely.

"I have heard so much about you Jesse, I just didn't think you were so young" Samuel says astonished that the accomplished young woman Edgar was describing to Samuel when they talked was this young.

"Age is never a factor when you're good at your job" Jesse states with confidence.

Samuel chuckles, "I can see why you have her in charge".