Chapter Six - Returning to California

(Edited)

2 YEARS LATER

Over one hundred and fifty missions in the two years of Jesse being at the company and there had been zero casualties within her team. Jesse was loving her life in DC it was everything she ever wanted. Jensen had grown so much in the two years, and her team had also learnt of the one secret she had been keeping from everybody back home in California, though Jesse felt the crack in her secret and it was getting bigger the longer the assignment was left on her desk.

The Chief wasn't going to let Jesse step aside on this mission either, she had no choice, but that wasn't going to stop her from trying to pass it off to another team.

"Chief, I don't see why you can't send Jacobs and his team to do the job, you know why I can't go back there, I would have to take Jensen with me". Her voice filled with pleading, but he wasn't going to change his mind.

"I know that this is difficult, but you are my best team and I need my best team on this job, I'm sorry but there is no way of getting around it, you are the best at what you do and yourself and your team have reached clearance levels beyond Jacobs' team". He felt for the girl, truly he did but there was nothing he could do, this wasn't a job he had handed out. It came from someone above his title.

Sighing Jesse nods, "Okay fine" realising there was nothing she could do and knew he wouldn't try and sort it out.

"Great – spoken with such enthusiasm – you leave tomorrow".

Jesse's jaw almost falls from her face, she could not believe he dropped another bombshell on her like that "Edgar" her voice suddenly went loud from shock.

"What?" he replied with an innocent voice and a look as if he had no idea what he had just done to the young girl.

"Tomorrow!" she exclaims.

"Yeah, did I not mention that? I'm sure I did" he ponders, he knew he never mentioned it when Jesse and her team left but there was a reason behind it; if he had told her at the beginning of the assignment hand in this morning then Edgar would surely be walking around with a body part of some sort missing.

"No, no you did not" huffing out, turning away from her boss the young girl walks away from the man before she did something she regretted.

Edgar breathed a sigh of relief believing he had gotten away with it.

Then she shouted back "You won't get away with this" Jesse yelled.

A nervous laugh slips passed his lips knowing full well she would get her own back.

Since the leaving time was tomorrow, Jesse had to rush around and gather all of her equipment before heading home, the basement of the building held all of the weapons and new technology being developed and tested along with the shooting range, a place she was sure to go before she left to get out all the anger that consumed her at this very moment.

Jesse was comfortable here in DC, there was no secret from anyone here, no pressure, but once every month that guilt would weigh on her when her father called to see how she was doing. And it was always painful not to tell him the truth, she has never kept anything from her father, and this secret was beyond anything she thought she can hide from him.

But she always managed to keep a lid on it whilst talking to him, mainly by asking about life in California. Nothing really had changed, Victoria had gotten back to her obnoxious life as if nothing had happened, Elizabeth was still as pretentious as ever and her father Thomas was begging for Jesse to return so he had another person on his side when arguing about the no junk food rule or the vegan meals Elizabeth was now having prepared in the house.