Chapter 4

Chapter 4: "If someone starts harassing you, just tell me, and I'll beat the snuffing out him!"

His hand is squeezing my thigh.

Should I slap him?

Our eyes meet, and I immediately recognize him. It's that boy I bumped into just morning. His face is completely red, almost mirroring a tomato. A frightened expression etches on his face, and his hand starts shaking. Actually, I feel the same thing is happening to me.

I feel a jolt running up my spine. My breaths start turning into unending gasps. I've never been touched by a boy before, not even by my father. Instinctively, I raise my hand.

"Kyaaaaaah!"

That scream isn't mine.

I channel my strength into my hand, swinging it forth to smash it against the boy's face. But his reaction is much better than anticipated. He pulls away, letting go of my thigh, and narrowly avoids my hand by a hair's width.

"The hell!" He catches me by the wrist. "That was an accident! A slap is totally uncalled for!"

His grip is so strong, no matter how hard I pull back, I simply can't pry myself away... I look up and his sharp eyes glare into mine, peering into the deepest boundaries of my soul...! The shade of red in his pupils could only make me think of a demon that thrives within chaos.

"Don't you have anything to say...?" He growls like a ferocious beast. "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to touch you like that! It was an accident! I swear!"

Come to think of it, was just morning a coincidence at all? He could've stepped aside easily, like every other student, but he simply stayed put, letting me crash into him? Was it in purpose...?

He lets go of my hand, rolling his eyes. "Right, I forgot. You're a foreigner. You don't understand Japanese."

I'm not a foreigner!

He clears his throat. "My name Reiji." His accent is so thick that I can't tell if he is trying to speak English or some other language. I couldn't really understand a word he says. "Uh... This bag." He raises a bag he had brought with him. "This you."

I try to process everything he just said. I never really found the need to speak English most of the time, so I'm not particularly good at it. But I was expected to learn and be fluent in it since I was to carry on my family's name...

Let's see. My name Reiji. This bag. This you.

...

Is he implying I'm a bag...? Why?

We share a long pause, exchanging stares in one of the most awkward moments I've had to experience. He then ruffles his hair, erupting into a giant mess of profanities that would be unbecoming of me to list down.

"Do you understand a word I'm saying?" He slams a fist on the floor. "Or do I have to pick up German to tell you?" He stands up, rising triumphantly to look down upo- "OW!"

The poor guy hit his head against the ceiling. We're underneath a stairs, so the slanted ceiling is much lower than normal. He falls to the floor, holding the pained spot with both hands. From where I seat, I could see a bump forming on the back of his head.

And once again, he lets out a chain of profanities, this time in a raspy voice. But above all, I can see slight tears forming in his eyes, though he's trying his best to hold it back.

What am I supposed to do...? I don't have healing powers to soothe his pain so I can't help him. It may be rude to walk away but I feel it's best if I leave him alone. I mean, I want to help, but I just don't know how. If I knew, I'd definitely do what I can.