Chapter 2

—Bitch!

Chapter 2: "This world is full of shit, and the people who inhabit it are that shit!"

The bells go off.

Maybe it was a bad idea to escape to a classroom. There are so many people here! But, I mustn't run away... I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away! Learn to survive for one day, then one week, then one month and then one year. It's a simple plan.

Everyone is sitting in the classroom. The desks are arranged to be apart from one another, so I don't have to worry about stuttering while someone tries to make small talk, at least for today. I'll probably save myself the embarrassment if I stay away from everyone, but how long can I keep that up? My butlers and maids aren't here. I'm alone now. I'll eventually have to talk to someone.

The teacher enters, a pair of spectacles resting atop her sharp nose. The air around her feels heavy, and she seems to be a very serious person. Oh no, this is my homeroom teacher, right? What if she's the sort of demon who punishes me for the littlest things? The thought alone scares me...!

No, Alice! Don't be paranoid! Everything will be fine...

She slams her books on the table at the front of the room, examining us with stern eyes. She's about to scold us... We didn't even—

"Hello there, everyone!" Her tone is surprisingly upbeat and friendly. "Looks like I'm your homeroom teacher again! Are there any new faces?"

I place my bag on the table, using it to hide my face. It seems heavier than it was just morning, for some reason.

"You over there. The one hiding behind her bag."

Peering over it, I lock eyes with her as she points at me.

"Yes, you." She shoots a smile at me. "I don't think I've seen you before. You must be new." She places her hands on her waist. "Stand up and introduce yourself."

Putting the bag down, I slowly stand up from my seat. I feel my legs quivering beneath the attention that the teacher has caused my fellow classmates to give me. Maybe it's because this is the first time I've worn a school uniform? I mean, skirts are nothing new but uniforms seem otherworldly to me.

Or... Is it just because I haven't had this many people looking at me? Yes, that has to be it. Even the students in the two rows in front of my seat are looking back at me. It's not like just now when I ran into that boy. This time, I'm trapped. I can't run away. If I do, I'll only end up returning to face the embarrassment of having messed up my first day of school.

…I'm already messing up, aren't I?

"Just say your name." The teacher's smile slowly starts to look forced. "Don't be shy."

I gulp. That's right, all I need to do is say my name... Yet, the words simply won't slip out. My classmates begin muttering, yet I can't pick out what they're saying. Are they laughing at me? Are they mocking me? Am I going to be the joke of the year?

Is this how my life will be like from here on out? Looked down upon and becoming the brunt of everyone's humour? Not a single friend to turn to? All this, just because of my introverted upbringing?

It is at times like these I curse the fact that I stayed indoors during my childhood, never making a friend though I had plenty of chances to do so.

It is at times like these I curse the fact that my parents chose homeschooling as my means of education.

It is at times like these I curse the fact that I'm a complete failure.

I bite my lip, pressing my palms against my cheeks to shield my face from everyone. It feels warm, possibly because I'm flustered. But, despite that, I can hear myself sulking. In fact, I can feel tears starting to flow...