Chapter 34

Chapter 34: "We're like... opposite sides of the same coin."

I... did it! To think after all these years of being unable to speak a word to anyone, I managed to use this voice of mine against Reiji-s-- Reiji. I don't think I'll ever get quite used to addressing him without honorifics.

But yipee! If I wasn't in this convenience store, my feet would be merrily skipping like an eight year old playing hopscotch. It was merely a small step, but a step nonetheless. I'm moving forward, little by little.

Ah, so this must be the power rage and anger gives you. That must be the reason why he always looks like he's about to explode at any second. Perhaps that frustration is what gives him courage to be so... contemptible. It's rather easy to fathom why he doesn't have many... companions.

Sigh. No, this mustn't happen once more. If I allow my wrath to push me along, then I'll surely end up just like him. Imagine that, an Alice with a sour face who spouts vulgar language with every sentence. Disappointment and agony, that is all that will be felt by my parents once I return.

They sent me to Gekkoukan to improve myself, not digress! I want to save Reiji, I truly do, but I have to remember that I mustn't become like him in trying to do so.

... Ah!

I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't realize I was standing before the vending machine for an excessive... three minutes? I certainly hope no one is looking at me. Glancing left and right, the coast seems clear.

I came here because I wanted to by the red can. Coke, wait no, it's actually called Coca Cola. What a strange abbreviation. Why Coke? Coca doesn't sound strange. Cola has a nice ring to it. So why Coke? It sounds more like cocaine... And I'm reasonably certain this drink has nothing to do with drugs.

Okay, so just insert the notes like so and push the button and...

Kadunk!

What a refreshing sound. How satisfying it is when a successful transaction is followed with that. Why, I wish that everytime I achieve something, anything, that kadunk will resonate throughout whatever place I so happen to be at. Penned a thousand word essay? Kadunk! Shook hands with the president? Kadunk! Successfully launch to the moon? Kadunk!

"Yo, Arisu."

Ah, if it isn't none other than my dear Narukami-san. I'm feeling particularly driven as of now, after that negotiation with Reiji-s... Reiji. So with my heart open, I shall engage in conversation with her, who chose to be my companion out of selflessness.

Prideful grin upon my lips, I turn to her and...!

...

Find myself... nodding... like a fool. I-I just spoke to him! W-Why isn't it working again?! Just say something Alice! Just say anything! Peace be upon you, Narukami-san! Please!

"Haha, wanna walk back together?" She winks at me.

Just say yes, just say yes, just say yes... Aaaaaaaah! I'm nodding again! W-Why am I such a moron?! It was child's play. So natural. When it was Reiji. But now, with someone I genuinely trust and care about... Ugh...

Trudging behind her with that can of Coca Cola in hand, all the energy and excitement I got from that conversation with Reiji drained away so very quickly... I feel so limp... It feels terrible that I could talk to him and not to her. Was it because I was angry at him? Sigh, to think I'm becoming more like him...

"So uh. Huh." She placed her hands behind her head, looking up to the sky with a dazed look. "Confabulate, huh?"

Confabulate? Wait. That's an oddly specific word to suddenly utter. Which just so happens to be the one I used when I was talking to Reiji...! Sh-sh-sh-sh-shiiiiiiiiiiiitake mushrooms! Coincidence? I think not!