Chapter 33

Chapter 33: "We can't change the past, but the present is in our hands, and with that, the future."

Stepping pass the school gates, I clutch my bag against my chest, cautiously walking through the crowds.

Apparently, after recess, Reiji-san failed to turn up in class. I can only imagine where he's at. I checked that space underneath the stairs, but it doesn't seem like he was there either. Was my slap truly that powerful? A pain so unbearable that he could only choose to escape...?

He's hiding things, I'm certain of it. Things that are so petrifying, blinding himself from it is the only means to keep himself sane. Everyone has problems, however, that doesn't necessitate society from ignoring them, yes? I mean, the way he behaved back then... it will only cause damages to everyone, especially himself.

Prevention is better than a cure, remember that.

A car whizzes by me, causing my hair to frolic in the wind it brought. Is it even legal to drive that fast in a school area?

People can be selfish at times... To think only about yourself and what's best for you, it truly is a wonder to me. Perhaps I so desperately crave friendship with others after being alone for so long. Thus making every time I try to help someone else reasoned into one simple sentence:

"Please be my friend."

I mean, if I keep trying my best to help everyone, they would accept me, right? If I can't accept myself, maybe if the world does so in my place, I can follow suit...

Eh?

In front of the shopping district stands a certain boy I've grown accustomed to. He crouches before a vending machine placed near a small shophouse, a calm look in his crimson eyes which I do believe I rarely see. Did Reiji-san find peace in the time he was away? Then I suppose that now would be the best time to approach him.

Not even taking a second to confirm who I am, he poses a question. "Pepsi or Coke?"

... I don't really know what he's asking.

He reaches into the machine, taking out two canned drinks, one coloured blue, the other red. He then repeats the question in a gruffer tone, shooting a glare at me. "Pepsi. Or. Coke?"

I point at the red can.

"Catch." He tosses it over to me.

Trying to catch it, the can only bounces off my hand and falls to the floor, rolling down the slope. Panicking for a moment, I fall to my knees and grab ahold of it.

Like a true villain, he can only laugh at my plight. Puffing a cheek, I walk up to him as his cruel grin transitions into a deep frown.