Chapter 44

Chapter44 – Farewell

"Mom!He's back!" Frerin jumped and looked back over his shoulder whenthe door opened and Fili smiled at his wife. His smile was weak buthe was glad to be home and hugged Gilriel. "It's good to be home"

"Youlook exhausted" Gilriel ran her hand through Fili's hair before heheld her to stop his wife. "Frerin... take your sisters and finduncle Kili. I need a moment with your mother"

Hewaited until the children had left before he sat on his bed with hiswife. His body was shaking for a moment and he fought tears coming tohis eyes. "The queen is dead... Lothien died the day we reachedElrond's house. The travel was too exhausting for her but Thorinwanted to give her the time to see her family one last time. It wasElrond's wish to bury Lothien in her old home and... Thorin and Iwere the first dwarves to see an elvish burial and... it was verytouching"

"Andhow is Thorin?"

"Heisn't well... when Elrond and and Gandalf spoke about the fellowshipto destroy the ring of evil... he wanted to join them first but hedecided against it because we have to stand against Mordor if thefellowship fails... It turned out braver than dwarves, humans andelves were four young hobbits" Fili smiled weakly again while hiswife hugged him. "I'm happy you didn't join them and came backhome. We need you here"

"Iknow and I would never leave you and the children in any danger. Ihave to take even more responsibilities now and you must know everyway out of Erebor if it comes to the worst. I don't want you tofight" Fili rubbed his nose against Gilriel's and both spent sometime didn't talking to each other.

Theyfell on the bed without sleeping and held each other until the nextmorning when they found each other surrounded by their children. Fililooked and Frerin and sighed. "I hoped I could be a father he wantsto play games with and always has fun with but I think that has tochange now"

 "Hewill understand. He adores you and he will follow you like you followThorin" The hobbit kissed her husband before she woke up theirdaughters. "Come, we go and see your grandmother"