Chapter 42

Chapter42 - Sunset

Thorinwatched the sunset and wondered how close the evil was. While mostdwarves and their guests were still celebrating he wanted to be aloneand was surprised someone found him at the secret passage of themountain. "I wondered why you go upstairs. I thought you kind onlybuilds ways deeper into the mountain and not to it's top"

"Thisis a secret passage... here we came into the mountain and Smaugdidn't know. Lothien... you shouldn't be here longer. I want you toreturn to Elrond and move back to... if Gandalf is right you would besafe where Bilbo lives. You could move to the Shire and your kind"Thorin looked to the ground while he spoke and only looked up whenshe touched his cheek. "Why is the king under the mountain worried?You look like the prince coming to Elrond's house and don't knowwhere home is"

"Becausemy other home is in danger"

"Whowould attack Erebor?" Lothien looked past Thorin if she could seeany enemy approaching but when she looked back at Thorin she sawsadness. "Thorin..."

"Noone attacks Erebor now... but what Gandalf told me I won't be safehere forever. An old evil is coming back to middle earth and Gandalfand Elrond know about it. They warn me to defend middle earth whenMordor..." Thorin couldn't finish the sentence and Lothien felt acold shower running over her back. She moved closer to the king andfound herself in his arms for the first time. "You are not alone...this time the elves will come to help you"

"Idon't care about the elves... I care about you and I want you to besafe" Thorin took something from his pocket and Lothien felt how heput her ring back on her finger. "You found it but how? You saidyou lost it on the way to Dale?"

"Filigave it to me last night. He said Kili took it from me and Fili hadit since I left him and his brother in Dale. He knew it was yoursbecause of your name but he didn't know how I could have it or whatit meant to me... and still does" Thorin kissed Lothien's ringbefore he looked at her and made the elvish hobbit feel weak. Shedidn't know how to stand and held close to his coat while she wasafraid to fall. "Thorin..."