8

The auditions for the play were today along with the election. I wasn't sure exactly what to do, so I meet up with Adrien at the school. "Can we reschedule it?" I ask in a worried yet desperate tone. "Please. I'm begging you..." 

"You could always try out for the part right now," he suggests as I smile gratefully. "So, I am taking that as a yes?" I nod eagerly, noticing everyone in the room. I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, feeling Adrien's gaze. 

"Ugh. I can be Ladybug," declares Chloe, who puts her hands on her hips. "Maritrash is nothing compared to me. My daddy will win the election, and your dad will continue to be the lone baker." 

"And, if my dad wins?" I retort as her eyes flash in rage. "Let's start the auditions. How does that sound to everyone?" A murmur of approval fills the room as I glance around the room in anticipation.

"I will try out to be Cat Noir," states Adrien, who mimics a Cat Noir pose. "Marinette is trying out to be Ladybug." Alya cheers excitedly, standing alongside Nino with an enormous grin on her face.

Nino claps his hands together. "Three. Two. One. Action!" He declares, intently staring at us. I turn to look at Adrien, realizing that I'm wearing a Ladybug costume without the mask. As for him, he's wearing a Cat Noir suit without the mask as well. 

"Cat Noir, we must capture their akumas," I state with a look of determination. "We must do it before it's too late." He nods, taking out the fake staff. I purse my lips, trying to hide my blush. Why does he look so handsome in that suit? I think to myself. 

"Sure thing, Bugaboo," Adrien says as my cheeks turn bright red. How the heck does he know? Oh, right. He watches Cat Noir and I all the time and witnesses our romance. My gaze hardens as I take out my fake yoyo and get into a fighting position. 

"There's no time for joking around, Cat Noir," I say sharply, surprising everyone. "We must stop him before it's too late." He nods lightly as we take a few steps forward and come face to face with Alya herself. 

Once it was over, everyone cheers. "She will make a splendid Ladybug," Alya exclaims, nodding in my direction. "I watched Ladybug in battle, and she acted almost exactly like her." I raise my eyebrows in astonishment, feeling everyone's amazed stares. 

Act. That's all they think it is. It wasn't really an act; I just stopped pretending and let myself go. Being Ladybug is apart of who I am, so I don't consider it an act. I check my phone as a gasp escapes my lips. "I-I got to go!" I state urgently, leaving the school and finding Chloe outside. 

"Ugh. Look who it is," she mocks. "Maritrash." I roll my eyes in annoyance. I really hate when she calls me that. It's pathetic and very embarrassing for both of us. If she calls me that and my dad is mayor, that would be ridiculously funny. 

"Chloe, I don't have time for your attempts to roast me," I say in a bored tone. "We should head to the election, right?" She heaves a sigh, nodding lightly. "Let's go!" I add, hearing her groan angrily.

"I make the rules!" Chloe declares, eyeing me carefully. "I will be in charge once again, Maritrash." I chuckle to myself before turning to look at her. My gaze hardens as I narrow my eyes at her. 

"Don't call me that," I say in a dangerous tone, intimidating her and successfully scaring her. "Do you understand?" She nods, not daring to say another word. We arrive there just in time as a bright smile curves on my lips. I hurry up to my parents, who are waiting patiently for me. "I'm sorry I'm late," I murmur. 

"Don't worry, Marinette," dad reassures. "We are about to make our final speeches." I grin, standing alongside my mom. "Wish me luck," he adds. His name is announced, and he walks up there with pride in his footsteps.