34

As we step out of the room, a loud yet continuous bell echoes through the school. I nervously glance around and hurry to the stairs, instantly noticing lava on the main level. My eyes widen in horror, as I clench my fists in desperation. What the heck is going on!?

"Marinette, we don't have time for this!" Elias exclaims, having a stern yet alarmed expression on his face. "We need to reach higher ground! Ladybug, Cat Noir, Viperion, Ryuko, and Bunnyx will save the day soon!"

I nod in response, as we race through the school. I follow him up a flight of stairs, as my heart hammers within my chest. With this lava flooding through the school, I don't think I'll get the opportunity to transform.

Suddenly, we run into Tazia, Zoe, Kagami, Luka, Leroy, and Violet, who stare at us in shock. "Elias, Marinette, thank goodness you're alright!" Tazia declares, as a wave of relief flashes across her face.

"We have bad news," states Violet, who scrunches her brows in concern. "When the lava was rising, it came in contact with Kevin, Haris, and Aleena. Once the lava completely surrounded them, they immediately turned into statues."

I exchange a look with Luka, as an uneasy feeling forms in the pit of my stomach. If the akumatized victim is this powerful, then we really need to step up our game. "Uhhh, guys...?" Leroy says nervously, which instantly captures our attention. We follow his gaze to the lava slowly making its way up the stairs.

"Come on. We need to go," states Kagami, who turns and starts to lead the way to another set of stairs. As we continue to run, a scream echoes through the school. I slowly turn around, as Leroy stumbles to the ground, only to be consumed by the lava a second later.

"What's going on?" Tazia exclaims, clenching her fists in desperation. "If this keeps happening, then none of us will be left. Is there any point in running away if it's just going to catch up to us anyways?"

"Obviously." Elias rolls his eyes. "You really let yourself get bummed out over that? You're supposed to be stronger than this, Tazia." The said female's eyes widen in surprise. "If we can get to the top, it will be easier for Ladybug, Cat Noir, Viperion, Ryuko, or Bunnyx to rescue us."

I shift nervously and exchange a look with Luka, as an uneasy feeling forms in the pit of my stomach. I don't think we'll be rescued anytime soon! If anything, because the three of us are here, it prevents us from transforming and stopping the akumatized victim.

Suddenly, a blue portal appears in front of us. My eyes light up, as Bunnyx leaps out of the portal. Her eyes immediately land on Luka, Kagami, and I, as a casual yet relieved smile etches on her face.

"Cat Noir had the right idea," she hums, as I raise my eyebrows in astonishment. "While he's fighting the akumatized victim, I've been trying to help as many people as possible." Bunnyx then points her umbrella, as another portal appears. "Everyone, this will lead you to safety, so please get in."

Elias nods. "You heard her. Come on."

I scrunch my brows in concern. If I enter that portal, then I won't get the opportunity to transform into Ladybug and help Cat Noir fight the akumatized victim. In other words, I need to come up with an excuse to get away.

"Oh my gosh!" I state in an exasperated tone, sheepishly scratching the back of my head. "I can't believe I left my glasses in Mr. Damocles's office! They were a gift from my parents, and I need to go back and get them!"

Elias purses his lips. "Are you serious right now!?"

"Yes. I'll be back soon!"

"If that's the case, then I'll..."

"Don't worry, Elias, I will go with her," Luka interjects, placing his hand on my shoulder. "I'll keep her safe and help her find them." Elias intently stares at him for a moment, as Tazia scrunches her brows in concern.

"I don't think that's such a good idea."

"In that case, I will accompany them," states Kagami, who takes out her fencing sword and hands Zoe her bag. "Leave it to me. I won't let anything happen to them. We'll meet up with you later."

"Alright, Kagami," Tazia says, nodding in her direction. "We will see you three later. Please be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you." Tears form in my eyes, as a warm smile curves around my lips. I can't believe how much she cares about us!

Once she utters those words, Elias, Tazia, Violet, and Zoe jump into the portal. Bunnyx swings her umbrella, as the portal immediately shuts behind them. "What are we waiting for?!" Kagami declares, clenching her fists around her sword. "Let's find your glasses!"

"You're right!" I state, exchanging a nervous look with Luka. "Let's go!" I dart through the hallway, with Luka, Kagami, and Bunnyx following right behind me. I don't know what to do! I lied to my new friends, so I could transform into Ladybug and help save the day.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps come from below. My eyes flash dangerously, as I slowly look in that direction. Dozens of figures covered in ash start to walk up the steps, as I stare at them in pure horror. They must be all of the people who were consumed by the lava!

"Marinette, Luka, Kagami, I need you to hide," Bunnyx orders, holding out her umbrella. "Leave it to me. I will stop them!" A determined look crosses her face, as she starts to approach the stairs.

Kagami takes a step forward. "I will help you."

"You sure?"

"Of course! I won't let my friends get hurt!"

Bunnyx smirks. "Alright then. Luka, Marinette, get out of here."

As I nod in response, Luka takes my hand and starts to lead me down the hallways. We enter an empty classroom and duck behind a desk. "You know, Marinette, you had me scared for a second there," he muses, chuckling to himself. "Your acting needs a little bit of work."

"It worked out fine in the end!"

"That's because I stepped in," Luka points out. "If I didn't, then you would be stuck with Elias. I bet the only thing you were concerned about was getting away from everyone and transforming into Ladybug. Does that sound about right?"

"Yeah... I am worried about Cat Noir."

"I understand." He nods in my direction. "He's been your partner for a few years now, and it would kill you if something happened to him." His face hardens. "Once we transform, I will help Bunnyx and Kagami. Then, Bunnyx and I will assist Cat Noir in defeating the akumatized victim."

"Okay. I'm going to help Cat Noir right away."

"Gotcha."

"Alright, let's do this! Tikki, spots on!"

"Sass, scales slither!"

I nod in his direction, as a newfound determination washes over me. I just hope I can get to Cat Noir before it's too late! I hurriedly open the door and throw my yoyo, before swinging out of the school and racing across the city. If anything, I just hope Cat Noir can hold for a little while longer.