Wifey Part 2 - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Avery Mills walked down the halls of the hospital headed towards her next patient.

"Avery!"

She turned when she heard her supervisor. "Yes Donald?" She tried her best to stare at his eyes and not his shiny bald head.

He handed her a new file. "A patient in room 415 is requesting some assistance."

Avery looked over the file and was confused. "What can I do to help her? She's a pregnant woman with high stress levels." The woman's name was Nina Rice. She arrived two days ago.

"She refuses to communicate with the nurses and doctors, so they requested you to come in. You're the best with getting people to talk."

"If I'm the best, then you should be paying me more. My caseload is out of control."

"I know Avery, but it's our job to help the public."

Avery was tired of it. The heavy caseloads and long hours weren't worth the pay. She was planning on putting in her resignation. "I'll handle it after I see the patient in room 412." That mother was addicted to drugs and delivered a cocaine dependent baby.

Donald nodded.

Avery was headed towards her office when she noticed a man with a familiar build and walk. "Ethan!"

The man that turned around wasn't Ethan. "I'm sorry, I thought you were someone I know."

"He's my brother. How do you know him?"

Avery felt the curiosity radiating off him. What's the best way to answer that question? She pondered. There was no way she could say they met in a bar and talked. While she considered different options, Ethan came out of a hospital room.

"Avery?" he smiled. "This is a small world."

"It is. How is everything?"

Ethan smiled brighter. "Since we talked? I'm a husband and a daddy."

"That's amazing," Avery gave him a hug. "Congrats!"

Zeke stood there puzzled about who Avery was and how Ethan knew her. He cleared his throat to get their attention. "How do you know each other?"

Avery noticed the way Ethan's brother was staring at her. She wasn't giving off a good first impression. She moved out of Ethan's arms. "It's not what you're thinking."

Zeke crossed his arms. "And what am I thinking?"

I'm a slut after your married brother, she thought. Just then, the door opened again, and another man came out of the room. Avery wondered how many people were in there.

"You're Avery, right?" the man asked.

Was he reading her name badge? "I'm Avery," she answered reluctantly. "Who are you?"

"Jonathan Adams. We have mutual friends."

Avery looked at Ethan? He shrugged his shoulders. "I didn't mention you to anyone."

"No. I work as an EMT and paramedic. I've heard good things about you."

"Well, can you tell him those good things," she said while pointing to Zeke. "Because right now I'm not getting a warm, fuzzy feeling from him."

"He's just protective of his family," Ethan informed her. "Zeke, she's a good person. She helped me with some issues, nothing else," Ethan stated to his brother.