Zeke and Sydney: Lovers or Friends

Prologue

Zeke tossed his nephew a few inches into the air and caught him softly in his arms. Little Gavin giggled in delight as he repeated the action again. Zeke seeing the smile on his chubby cheeks made the commute from Austin to New Orleans worth it. His work scheduled was the reason for not being able to come home since Gavin's birth five months ago. He didn't realize how much he missed his nephew until he was in his presence again.

At 27, Zeke was a lawyer in Austin, Texas. He devoted most of his life to his demanding career. In his spare time, he worked with small businesses and also helped friends and family with legal issues.

He was tired and appreciative for the holiday break. He came home the day before Christmas and was returning to Austin, a few days after the New Year. Out of four children, he was the only one that ventured out and lived in another state. His three brothers still resided in their home state of Louisiana.

Home. He never realized how much he missed it until he came back for a visit. He looked around the table and observed his oldest brother, Gavin, being attentive to his wife, Jeanette. While Trevor and Ethan argued about a football game, his mother was situated at the head of the table cutting into an apple pie. He made the mental note to come back more often. Nothing could compare to a good home-cooked meal and quality time with his family.

"You look good with a baby, Zeke."

The corner of his mouth lifted slightly. He should have known his mother would make a baby comment. Her head was down, but she didn't fool him. She was watching....always watching him and his siblings carefully.

If Pearl Coleman had it her way, she would have a dozen grandchildren by her four sons. Gavin finally made her dreams come true by getting married and producing a child. Trevor would most likely be next in line to give her a second grandchild. He and his girlfriend were getting pretty serious after dating for over a year. The baby of the family, Ethan was too much of a gigolo to contemplate even settling down. Zeke wasn't so much of a player as Ethan. He wanted a wife, and eventually children. He was just waiting for the right opportunity to make it happen. He was hoping to get it accomplished in the next few years.

"I need a wife first," he replied to his mother, still playing with Gavin Jr.

"Not necessarily," Ethan commented.

Ethan received a smack on the back of the head. Zeke was trying his best to compose a laugh, but a few chuckles slipped.

"None of my grandbabies will be illegitimate."

"Ma!" Ethan shrieked.

"Your father and I raised four men and what do men do?" she asked, eyebrows raised.

"Men take care of their responsibilities," they all stated together. It was a mantra that was embedded in them since they were children.

"That's right. Ethan, you better keep that little pecker to yourself."

Zeke, Gavin, and Trevor shared a laugh.

"The same goes for you too, Zeke. Why would you want to follow a statistic of black men? You grew up with married parents, and your children deserve the same. Right?"

Zeke stopped his amusement. He figured she wasn't on Trevor or Gavin's case because they were settled down with partners. "Yes, ma'am." No matter how old he was, he always showed respect towards his mother.

"Good." Pearl placed the slices of pie onto small plates. "Now pass this around."

-

Later in the evening, as the sun was starting to drift away, Zeke stood next to his mother and dried the dishes after she rinsed them. He was the last son present. It was always hard for him to leave his mother alone in the house. A part of him wanted to move her to Austin. What kept him sane was the fact that his brothers lived less than an hour away.

"I don't understand why you don't use the dishwasher."

She handed him another plate. "It's for lazy people, when have I ever been lazy?"

"Never."

"Exactly."

Pearl didn't hold a conventional job while they were growing up, but she ran the household while his father worked full time as a mechanic. Theodore Coleman spent 12 hours a day working on cars so his sons could attend the best private schools. In return, each son graduated at the top of their class.

While Zeke practiced Law, Ethan was a real estate agent, Gavin worked in finance and Trevor was a dean at a high school. Theodore got the chance to see all of them succeed, before passing from lung cancer. Their father was hardworking but was also a man addicted to nicotine.

Zeke dried the last dish and stuck it in the cabinet. It was time to go.

"Ma, I have to catch my flight." He had court in the morning and couldn't be late.

She wrapped her arms around his waist. "Are you sure you don't want to come back home?"

He kissed the top of her gray covered head. She was barely 5ft tall. It seemed that she got smaller every time he saw her.

"I'm sure. New Orleans is home, but I can't see myself leaving Austin." After graduating from LSU with a degree in political science, he moved out of state for law school. The plan was to come back to his home city, but he was offered a job through his internship that he couldn't turn down.

"I just wish I saw you more often. You're an adult, but you're still my baby." She gave him a gentle squeeze before letting go. "Thank you for coming to spend time with me. I love you Zekey-poo."

A crease formed on his forehead. He couldn't remember the last time he heard his childhood nickname. "Zekey-poo?"

"Maybe I'll get to call my grandson Zekey-poo in the future."

"First off, I would never name my son Zeke, and second, I'm not even close to having a baby." He wasn't seeing anyone serious right now.

"How are you ever going to get there? You frolic with so many women, find a good one and settle down."

Zeke held in is laughter. Only his mother would use the word frolic. "Why are you so adamant about this?"

Pearl sighed. She walked over to a chair and settled into it. "I'm getting old and I want to see my sons married and happy."

Zeke folded his arms across his chest. "I'm happy and single. If the opportunity presents itself," he shrugged his shoulders, "I'll fall in love and get married."

"And give me grandbabies?"

He chuckled. "Yes and give you grandbabies."