Zeke and Sydney: Lovers or Friends Chapter 3

Two years later

"I want the life you have," Zeke confessed to his brother Trevor.

They were seated together at the head table designated for the wedding party. An hour prior, Zeke and the rest of their family watched Trevor marry his longtime girlfriend Yasmin. The newly married couple was also expecting their first child in 6 months. Zeke and his other two brothers, Ethan, and Gavin were a part of the wedding party. It was disappointing that he had yet to find a woman he wanted to marry, but his younger brother was married and had a baby on the way.

He was envious.

After dating multiple women during the past two years, he remained unmarried. He was on the verge of breaking up with his latest girlfriend Danielle and was just waiting for the right time to end it. Despite his life being a mess, he was happy for his brother.

"Are you sure you haven't found your, wife?" Trevor asked with a broad smile.

Zeke released an annoyed breath. "Danielle and I aren't working." He was at that point in his life that being in a meaningless relationship wasn't for him. He wanted more than a casual girlfriend. He wanted a life partner. Maybe it was from getting older or all of the nagging from his mother. He wasn't sure.

Trevor patted him on the back. "Well, maybe things will get better with her. You two have been kicking it for six months now," he encouraged.

"Maybe," Zeke replied. He didn't believe it though. He had been trying to make things work with Danny, but their relationship was falling apart. He was a little happy when she had to work and couldn't make it to the wedding. Sydney who planned to come alone agreed to be his last minute date.

After two years of friendship, he could honestly say that little Ms. Sydney Adams was his best friend. No one quite understood their friendship, but he didn't care. When he first introduced Sydney to the family, everyone thought they were a couple. It took a lot of convincing, but everyone eventually realized they were just friends.

He searched the ballroom and found her dancing with his baby brother, Ethan. Sydney looked incredible tonight, dressed in a lace gown that molded to her frame. He noticed that most of the single and married men in the room couldn't keep their eyes off of her including his little brother. Whenever he brought Sydney around the family, Ethan gravitated towards her.

He watched them dance and felt his blood boiling. He didn't like the way Ethan's hands kept creeping towards Sydney's ass, and there was barely any space between them. He continued to watch as Ethan whispered something in Sydney's ear that made her giggle.

Trevor was looking at the scene as well and decided to have a little fun with the situation. "Is Sydney still single?"

Zeke snapped his head towards him. "Why?" he said it with a bit of edge. "I thought that maybe we can set her up with Ethan. You know we love Syd like family. Maybe she can become our future sister in law."

Over my dead body, Zeke thought. There was no way Sydney was going to end up with a womanizer like Ethan. "He isn't ready to settle down, and I won't let him use Sydney like that," Zeke replied in response to Trevor's proposal.

Trevor's head reared back as he laughed. "Are you sure that's the only reason?"

-

Sydney laughed again as Ethan whispered another joke in her ear. She always looked forward to spending time with the youngest of the Coleman men. Ethan had an easy going childlike personality and enjoyed playing practical jokes on people including his older brothers. At the moment, he was purposely pissing off Zeke.