Wifey - Chapter 3

Wifey - Chapter 3

On Wednesday, Jonathan accompanied Johari to Zeke's office. After a few days of staying with him and thinking it over, she decided she wanted a divorce. He held her hand in support as Zeke spoke about the process.

"Are you sure about this?" Zeke asked.

"I want to do it. I'm ready to get rid of Livingston and transform back into Johari O'Neal. I was a better person before I met Trenton. He's been bringing me down for years."

Jonathan squeezed Johari's hand. "I think the Johari sitting beside me is pretty amazing."

She smiled. "You're biased. I'm your personal chef."

"No, it's because you walk around my house in your underwear."

Johari face heated up in embarrassment. She slapped Jonathan in the arm. "I do not. Zeke, he's telling lies."

Zeke grinned. He remembered when he and Sydney had the same playful relationship. He saw what was happening between Johari and Jonathan. He wondered if he should point it out or let them find out for themselves.

"Johari, I can make your address confidential, but, unfortunately, they'll know that it came from Austin. I have a few friends out in Louisiana that could file the petition instead," he suggested.

She wanted Zeke to be her attorney. "No, it's fine. If he comes after me, I'll handle it."

"We'll handle it," Jonathan corrected her.

"He's right, Jo. You don't have to handle anything alone," Zeke added.

Johari was thankful that she had so much support from Zeke and Jonathan's family. She felt like she couldn't trust her own family because they were loyal to her husband. Trenton bought them all with his money. Whenever he said jump, they replied how high. "Thank you."

"No problem."

Zeke continued working on the paperwork. He and Johari decided that the grounds for divorce were irreconcilable differences. Johari didn't want anything to do with her husband. She didn't want to fight over their finances or home they shared in Boston. She wanted her life back.

What happens next?" she questioned.

"We serve him the papers. The best-case scenario is that he doesn't fight back and agrees to the divorce. You have no kids together and you're not requesting financial support or a share of assets, so it should be simple. "

"And what if he doesn't?"

"We'll have to go to court and stand in front of a judge. He can prolong the process, but the result will be the same. There's no reason a judge wouldn't grant it based on your history together. You'll be a free woman eventually."

Johari nodded. She took her check book out. "How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing. Almost all of my family gets free legal services."

That puzzled Johari. "Almost?"

Zeke smiled. "The only person I charge is Ethan."

Jonathan laughed. "That's cold man."

"If you had to put up with Ethan, you would charge him too."

Johari and Jonathan left Zeke's office and headed for lunch. She wanted to have a drink, so they went to a restaurant with a bar. Once seated, Johari requested a glass of wine while Jonathan simply had a water.

"Meeting with Zeke put me on edge."

"You handled yourself well."

"Thank you. I know it's not going to be easy but worth it."

After ordering meals, a pregnant woman walked by their table, and Johari turned her head and looked in the opposite direction. Earlier when Zeke stated that she and her husband didn't have kids, she flinched. He wondered why.

"Jo, have you ever been pregnant?"

"Why would you ask that?"

Jonathan shrugged. "I've noticed things. If I'm intruding, I'm sorry."

"You're not. I'm just surprised you asked." She paused and played with her food. "I was trying to get pregnant, but it was for the wrong reasons. I thought if I was pregnant the beatings would stop. I was hoping my husband would be concerned about losing the baby. But it never happened. Now that I think about it, it would have been wrong to bring a baby into that situation. Irresponsible of me."

"Don't feel that way. You were in survival mode. Just trying to make it out the best way you could."

"I'm not overly religious, but I see that God works in mysterious ways. Having a baby would make getting a divorce harder and running difficult."

Jonathan reached out and squeezed her hand.

"Don't pity me. It's fine. I get to spend time with Teddy and soon Sammie. I'll be surrounded by babies. Maybe you'll get a girl pregnant, and I'll be able to have a little niece."

"Or maybe Sean will get you pregnant and you can have your own baby," Jonathan corrected.

Johari shook her head. "That's not happening."

Jonathan knew that she wasn't saying something. He was going to make another comment but was interrupted. He looked over and saw Deena Rice standing beside the table. He stood to greet her. Deena was the sister to former Detective Demetrius Rice.

"How are you doing, Deena?"

She beamed. "Life is good. I'm still waiting on a call from you."

"I'm sorry."

Deena looked at Johari sitting at the table. "Yeah, it does look like it needs a lot of work."

Jonathan could feel the friction in the air. "Listen, how about I call you and set up a date."

"Saturday night?"

Johari chuckled. "He's busy."

Deena looked towards Johari. "I didn't realize I was talking to you."

"But you see me sitting here? If Jon wanted to call you, he would have."

Deena whispered the word bitch underneath her breath. It caused Jonathan to intervene before a quarrel could occur. "Deena, I will call you. I think you should leave now."

"Okay." Deena listened and left the table.

"Let's go, Jo," he demanded. Jonathan paid their bill and they left the restaurant.

"Why are you angry with me?" she asked following him to the car.

"He's busy," he mocked in a girly voice. "You're better than that, Jo."

"Jonathan, she was rude and it's true! We are busy."

He didn't respond but gave her a look of condemnation.

"I didn't know you were dating Deena Rice?"

"I didn't know you were dating Sean," he returned.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Now Jonathan was getting frustrated. "Nothing. Look, I met her at Ethan and Sierra's wedding. We had a few drinks and danced. I ran into her again and promised to take her out. That's it."

"I don't care who you date," she lied. "But that girl is a...." Johari was trying to come up with a good word but didn't want to seem catty. "You can do better."

Jonathan smiled. He liked the jealous side of Johari. "Then, help find me find a woman that's Wifey material and I'll date her."

"Fine."