Zeke and Sydney: Lovers or Friends Chapter 5

The party was outside on the terrace of an apartment complex in downtown Austin. Zeke acknowledged that the environment was spectacular, and he enjoyed the company of other young professionals like himself. Despite all of that, he wasn't having a good time. He, Sydney, and Sierra had arrived an hour ago, and he was ready to leave ten minutes after they got there.

He took a sip of his drink and glanced around until he found Sierra flirting her life away with a group of men. He was sure that they loved the great view she provided them of her cleavage. Taking his eyes away from her, he found Sydney talking with another woman.

Sydney looked incredible tonight, dressed in a white blouse that reminded him of a man's dress shirt. She had it tucked into a leather skirt with black heels that lengthened her short frame. When he saw her, he immediately groaned because he thought he was going to have to fight men off of her. Sydney surprised him tonight and was backing the men away from herself. Zeke chuckled each time a man approached her and she ignored them. He stopped thinking everything was funny when she started directing women his way. They were all beautiful, but he wasn't interested. After dealing with Danielle, he didn't want to be in another relationship.

He continued to watch Sydney, and when the woman walked away, he approached her. "Hey sexy, I've been watching you all night, and I like the way you look," he whispered in her ear, standing behind her.

Sydney backed up into him and rubbed her backside against his groin. "Are you sure you can handle a country girl like me? Don't let the skirt and heels fool you."

Zeke was astonished at how bold Sydney was acting. Does she know it's me? He turned her around to face him, and he saw the mischief in her eyes. Okay, so she knows. "You're such a bad girl," he scolded her, tapping her on the nose.

Sydney laughed, grabbed the drink out of Zeke's hand, and took a sip. "That's disgusting."

"It's a big boy drink." He emptied the glass of Scotch and placed it on a nearby table. "Are you ready to go?"

"You aren't having fun?"

"No."

"Zeke, look at all of the beautiful women here. I think you may be able to meet someone."

He groaned. "No, Syd."

"Zeke."

"I'm not looking for anyone right now. Maybe being married and in love isn't for me," he said, shrugging his shoulders. He'd been in so many relationships and wasn't interested in starting a new one.

"What about having a family?"

"I'm giving up on it for now."

Something was seriously wrong with Zeke and Sydney needed to figure it out. She didn't want him to give up on something that he wanted so badly. Having a family had always been a priority for him.

"Let's go home and talk." The conversation was too heavy to have at a party.

Zeke nodded his head then grabbed Sydney's hand and walked towards the exit. They passed Sierra on the way out.

"We're leaving," Sydney told her sister.

"Wait! There's someone here that I think you'll be happy to see," Sierra stated before running off to the crowd. She came back a minute later pulling a woman behind her. Sydney briefly recognized her before the girl attacked her with a hug.

"Oh my God! Alana!" she exclaimed, returning the embrace. "How are you?"

"I'm great! I just moved back to Texas. I came to the store and Sierra said you would be here tonight."