Chapter Twenty

Asher

 Family. Most people are usually born with it or receive it at a young age when they’re first family wasn’t there for them. You can have this family your whole life, but in the blink of an eye they can be taking from your grasp forever. And when you’re a seventeen year old like I am and your family is taken away from you, you don’t know where to find a new place to call your home. New people that you can call your loved ones. A new life that can actually feel somewhat normal!

  So at the moment I find myself lacking all of these beautiful things that I once had. To be honest, I have no idea where to find them again.

   I had one pillow over my left ear had a pillow pressed up against it and my right one was forced down onto my mattress. I was trying to block out all of the noise that was coming from downstairs. Loud yelling from an argument created by Mr. and Mrs. Morrison was filling my ears as I tried to sleep. I truly didn’t understand how Avery was sleeping at a time like this. It almost sounded as if his parents were yelling right next to us it was so loud. It was pretty scary.

  The fight had started once Ronnie left and Avery and I had decided to get some rest. It had started off but small, but kept getting bigger and bigger and quite louder and louder. It hurt my eardrums it was so loud.

   I rolled onto my back, frustrated that I couldn’t sleep. I knew for a fact about myself that there was only one way for me to fall back asleep once I wake up or can’t go to sleep, and that’s by drinking a glass of water. However, seems like I wouldn’t be getting that glass of water tonight. To be honest, I was a little scared to  have to face Avery’s parents while they were fighting.

  I rolled over once again and thoughts filled my head. It’s just a glass of water, I thought to myself. I can just run down to their kitchen, fill it with water from the tap and bam! Everything will be fine. It’s not like they would be able to get mad at me if they spotted me, right?

  I sighed and realized that I was just wasting my time negotiating if I should go or not because I knew myself that I would end up going in the end anyways. I threw my sheets off of me and tiptoed out of Avery’s room. I padded down the stairs, and with every step I took the yelling got louder and louder.

  As I reached the bottom of the stairs and eyed the long hallway in front of me, I narrowed my eyes in concentration. I just had to take a few steps and I would be there, in the kitchen, capable of getting my wonderful glass of H2O. I then noticed a problem: the kitchen was directly in front of the living room where Mr. and Mrs. Morrison were fighting. Oh great… another way to make this situation harder.

  “Just be quick,” I whispered to myself so silently that even I hardly heard it. “Be sneaky… sneaky like a fox!”

   I slid down the hall on my socks, ninja style of course, I ran into the kitchen silently. Luckily, where the sink and cups were in the kitchen was a spot that wasn’t visible when you were in the living room. I scurried there, grabbed a cup and began filling my cup. I was hoping that through the yelling that was coming from the family room they wouldn’t be able to hear the water running.

  I didn’t mean to, but as I waited for my cup to fill up, I heard a little bit of Avery’s parents’ conversation. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop; it’s just that when people are being so loud, it’s hard not to pay attention to them.

  “I don’t understand why you’re reacting so ridiculously to this!” I heard Mrs. Morrison yell to her husband.

  “Don’t understand?!” Mr. Morrison replied, his voice equally as loud as his wife’s. “This isn’t just something that you can just do out of the blue!”