Chapter Ten

Ronnie 

I may look tough and all that on the outside, and I’ll admit, I like it when freshman’s look a little scared of me in the hallways. However, on the inside, I could really be a big softy. Especially when it came to the subject of my adoption.

  It’s always been a touchy subject. When I wasn’t with Asher and Avery I tried to avoid as much as possible. It’s not like that much people knew about it, but I just didn’t like talking about the fact that my family had given me up.

  And ever since I realized I was adopted… I’ve been wondering why.

  “Ronnie!” I heard my foster mother, Barbara Messer, call. “You have someone at the door for you!”

  I walked out of my bedroom, which was painted a dark green. It had paintings all over. It was pretty much where I spent my day, because I honestly didn’t feel comfortable with my “family”.

  “Ooh!” I heard my “brother”, Cory, say as he peaked his head through his own bedroom door. “Is Ronnie’s boyfriend coming over?”

  I furrowed my eyebrows at him and I crossed my arms over my chest. “He’s not my boyfriend, and if he was, well, at least I could get I date. Unlike someone I know.”

  With that he was quiet, which made me smile to myself.

  I tried skipping down the stairs, but that didn’t work well, so I decided just to walk normally. Once I reached the bottom, I was facing the front door. Standing there was Barbara and my foster father, Jacob. They were both looking at my guest with raised eyebrows.

  “Ronnie, sweetie,” Barbara said to me. “Who is this young man?”

  I put a hand on my guests shoulder. “This is my friend, Asher Blame.”

  That’s all I had to say, because both Barbara and Jacob’s eyes lit up at the sound of that. They knew that I didn’t exactly have a lot of friends at school besides Ray, so I guess it was always a pleasure to know that their daughter was getting along with at least somebody.

  Asher raised his hand and waved a little awkwardly. “Um, hi Mr. and Mrs.…” He trailed once he realized he didn’t exactly know what to call them.

  “Messer,” Jacob told him with a smile. “Mr. and Mrs. Messer.”

  Asher nodded his head and then he shoved his hands into his pockets. “You, uh, ready?”

  I smiled at him and nodded my head. I then looked at my confused foster family. “Asher and I were giving a science project that we have to work on, so we better get working on that!”

  I grabbed his wrist and practically dragged him up the stairs. I was lucky enough to be able to have my own computer in my room, so we’d use that. As I brought him into my room, he grinned a little bit.

  “What is it?” I wondered, clearly confused.

  “This bedroom actually looks a lot like my own…” He admitted. He pointed at one photograph that I had of three rocks on top of each other. “I actually have this one in my room.”

  I smiled as I booted up the computer. “Awesome!”

  It flashed to my screensaver of me and Ray holding our index fingers, which had mustaches on them, over our upper lips so it looked as if he had manly mustache power.

  “So, last night I talked a little bit to Jacob and Barbara, my foster parents, about my adoption,” I told him as I clicked on Internet. “They knew nothing about it really, besides the fact that I was given up when I was only three years old and that I’ve been like in a new foster home every year.”

  “That must really suck,” He commented.

  My back was facing him, so he could see me as I shrugged my shoulders. “Nah… it’s not like it’s that big of a deal.” I turned around in my swivel chair, which I had taken a seat on. “I don’t really like staying in one spot… it’s kind of boring, you know? I like change, so it was actually kind of cool to be thrown from home to home. I got to meet tons of new people and learn different customs and all.”

  I grinned at one memory. “I actually used to live with a foster family, when I was liked nine or something, and they were Jewish. It was the first time that I was every living with a Jewish family, so I was really confused with Christmas time rolled around.”

  He laughed , and then he pointed at my computer. “Um, it turned on Ronnie.”

  “Ah!” I said as I turned around to face my stone age speed electronic again. “I figured maybe if we search your name up, something may come up.”

  “Yeah, that sounds good.”

  I typed his name in Google, all that came up was his student profile, a Facebook page and then just a few other things about our school. My shoulders slumped a little bit. “I can’t seem to find anything…”

  “Oh.” He then appeared in the back of me and put a hand on my shoulder. “For fun, you wanna look at the images?”

  “Yeah, sure!” I clicked on the little button in the corner that read ‘Google Images’. First, a picture of him smiling popped up, it was probably his Facebook picture or something. I then saw a few other pictures of the school and stuff, and then I came to one picture.

  Out of curiosity, I clicked on it and right as it enlarged, I covered my hand with my mouth.

  In the picture, it was a little baby that was probably only one or two. He had huge green eyes and a mop of fluffy light brown hair. He had a big smile on his face, revealing only one tooth coming from his guns. He was reaching out to whoever was taking the picture. The next cutest part was that the kid was wearing yellow and blue footsie pajamas. One of the feet’s material must have come loose, because his foot was sticking out from it.

  “Oh my god Asher!” I exclaimed. I honestly did have a soft spot for babies. “Is that you?”

  He squinted and looked closer at the image. “It is… but the thing is, I was only adopted when I was three, and I’m much younger than three there.”

  “What’s that supposed to mean?” I wondered.

  He looked into my eyes. “This wasn’t taken by my foster parents. It was taken by my real ones…”

**********************************************************************************************

Hey everyone! Can you feel the drama of The Three Of Us building up? ;)

  This chapter was so fun to write XD I love this story!

So, the song for this chapter is a song I'm currently obsessed with: Big Black Car by Gregory Alan Isakov. It really relieves all stress.

  Thanks so much for reading! New chapter soon I hope! Please comment or vote, ye know!

-830freckles