Chapter Seventeen

Asher

Mistakes. They’re what I’m best at making. I know the exact recipe and I have known it since the moment I was born. It seems as if mistakes are what I make best, and I actually can’t seem to disagree. However, there has just been one mistake that has been haunting me for ages now and I just feel that everything would have been better if I could have prevented it.

  Everything could have been somewhat normal again.

  “Are you sure you don’t need anything, Asher?” Mrs. Morrison asked me for the one billionth time.

  “I’m sure, I think I’ll just wait in here until Avery comes home,” I replied.

  She gave me an uncertain look before she finally just nodded her head and closed the door. I sighed and flopped down on the mattress that I has been my bed since last night, when I was officially welcomed into the Morrison household. Ever since then, Mrs. Morrison has been trying to find ways to make me feel even more welcome than I already was.

  I always just pushed away her offers, because I knew that she was just doing these things to make me happy. Of course she’s trying to give me her condolences, and I honestly appreciate that, but the fact that she’s trying to make a smile appear on my face just reminds me even more of my parents’ death.

  I still get mad at myself for making the stupid mistake of not taking that taxi. I could have just seen my father alive for a few more minutes, tell him that I knew about my adoption and that he needn’t worry about telling me. That he could have a peaceful death with no regrets. Of course, that can’t happen because I’m idiotic Asher Blame. I’m the one who decided to ride a bike to a far away castle. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

  Ever since then, I have just been staying in Avery’s room. There really wasn’t much to do in here, his room was spacious, yet it was almost empty furnisher wise. He had a bed pressed up against the wall, his electric guitar hooked up to an amplifier in the corner of the room and a dresser against the wall. The floors and walls definitely weren’t empty though. His carpet was filled with dirty clothes, candy wrappers and CD cases. Whereas, his wall was covered with posters of bands that I didn’t even recognize. I had to admit, I wasn’t exactly sure of what I thought of Avery’s rock music obsession, rock music wasn’t exactly my favorite genre of music.

  I had spent my day counting the bumps on Avery’s wall, it at least kept me busy. So far I was up to six hundred ninety-three, but since Mrs. Morrison had come and distracted me, I lost count. I sighed and began again. “One, two, three, fo-”

  The door opened and I turned my head to see who it was. It was Avery, his bag slung over his shoulder. “Hey man,” He greeted. “How are you holding up?”

  I shrugged my shoulders. “I’m okay… I guess.”

 Avery sat down on his bed and opened up his bag. He took out a text book and threw it at me. I caught it in my hands and said, “Thanks.” The Morrisons’ had called Everlock to tell them about my… story. I seriously wasn’t up for going to school yet, so a deal was made and it was decided that Avery would bring me my homework every day so I could still learn while I tried to get over my loss.

  “Pages two hundred ninety-seven to two hundred eighty-one,” He told me. I cracked the book open and started to get to work on it. Avery laid down on his bed and began working on his homework, which I think was algebra.

  In the middle of our homework lessons, I asked Avery, “So, dude, how was your day? Anything special happen?”

  He looked at me with wide eyes. “It was probably the weirdest day of all time.”