Chapter Thirty-Three

Avery

At some points in our life, we all feel like we’re completely out of goodbyes. We have just said goodbye so many times, that we can’t even bear the thought of having to say farewell once again. Some have just gone through so much, and lost so many, that they run away from this seven letter word.

  Yet, they don’t seem to realize that goodbyes can be a great thing sometimes. Everything on this world has to end at some point, and the ending can sometimes be amazing.

  Who said that “goodbye” couldn’t be the ultimate perfect ending?

Six Months Later

  “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, happy birthday dear Asher and Ronnie, happy  birthday to you!” We all sang completely non-in-sync.

  Asher and Ronnie both leaned in to their cake –which my mother had spent the whole day making- that held a total of thirty-six candles all crowded together. Eighteen times two.

  It took a little while before all of the candles were blown out. However, once they were, the whole room cheered happily. Asher and Ronnie grinned as our mother began plucking the candles out of the cake and directed Hartlyn and my father to go get the plates for all of our guests.

  “It’s about time we got this done!” Ronnie said, smiling cheerfully. “Our birthday was five months ago!”

  “Totally worth the wait though,” Asher replied.

  I nodded my head in agreement. Even though Asher and Ronnie’s birthdays had been in April, we waited all the way until August to celebrate. We wanted to throw a party as a full family; and by April, the adoption wasn’t complete, so we couldn’t do that exactly. However, today, on this hot summer day, it was the three week anniversary of the adoption being final. Asher and Ronnie were completely moved in the house now. I shared a room with Asher, while we turned downstairs as a room for Ronnie instead of a storage space.

  This party was spectacular too. I never realized how many people were close to Ronnie and Asher. We had quite a few people over: my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins (who were as happy as could be the new additions to the family. They treated the twins as if they had always been in the family), Ronnie’s friend Ray, all of the employees from The Caffeine Bean (which I had sadly been fired from), Ethan Rorrely actually came to apologize for his rudeness with Asher, some others we had become friends, my old best friend Brett, the one I hadn’t seen since he moved at the beginning of the school year came to visit and finally, we invited Janet and Deborah.

  I looked over at Janet and Deborah, to see that they were laughing together with a group of my cousins. I smiled at this. It was nice to see Janet smiling and not seeming so depressed for once, like she had been in the letter. My parents of today met her and we all made a promise that Janet could come see us whenever she wanted; to fill the hole in her heart.

  “So,” I said, turning back towards Asher and Ronnie. “How does it feel to finally be considered eighteen?”

  “Awesome,” Asher responded.

  Ronnie smirked playfully. “Aww yeah, we can get away with anything we like,” She joked, throwing her arms up in the air.

  My mother raised an eyebrow. “Oh, not anything,” She told her as she handed the birthday boy and girl plates with pieces of cakes on them. “I have eyes on the back of my head.”