Chapter Eighteen

Avery

They say that everything happens for a reason. Well, then why do mistakes happen? If things are meant to happen, then why do we do things that we aren’t supposed to do? In my case, I was probably a mistake when my real parents created me, then why am I in the world? I’m a mistake and I definitely shouldn’t be here.

  I’m Avery Morrison, the mistakes that makes what he is.

  “What?!” Asher and Ronnie yelled at the same exact time. I wasn’t sure what was going on with them, but when I came outside to tell them about what had just happened, they were caught in a warm embrace. It was really weird.

  I reached into my pocket and pulled out my iPhone. “Look, I’ll prove it to you guys!” I turned it on and went on Facebook, went onto my page and held out the evidence for them. Ronnie snatched the phone from my hands and stared at it wide-eyed.

  “It says it right here!” She exclaimed, pointing at the screen. “’Janet Pitt says: Hi Avery, I know you have no idea who I am. Well, sweetie, I’m your mum. Happy I found you’,” She read.

  Asher put a hand on her shoulder and looked closer at the screen. “I can’t believe it,” He said in barely a whisper. His eyes then snapped back up so he was looking at me. “How did she find you?”

  I shrugged my shoulders and gave my simplest answer. “I guess she just searched me up like I’ve been doing with her for like the past month!”

  Ronnie handed  me back my phone and crossed her arms over her chest. “But you’re definitely not the only Avery Morrison in this world. She could have gone through hours of research!”

  Asher narrowed his eyes in thought at her theory. “That’s a really good point,” He expressed. “Maybe she had links to you or something.”

  “What do you mean by links?” I asked.

  “Like maybe she had ways to find you,” He explained. “She could have possibly had police officers done a search of you!”

  “Maybe,” I replied. “Plus, how would she have recognized me? My parents told me that they only adopted me when I was a baby, plus how would she know that I use Morrison as a last name?”

  “Many good points, boys,” Ronnie said to us both, waving her index finger in her air as if she were some sort of detective or something. “Did you check out her profile, Avery?”

  I shook my head no. “I didn’t get the chance. I just came to see you guys right as I saw it.”

  We were about to go on about our thoughts, when I heard a small voice come from the house. “Avery!” It said. I didn’t even need to think to know who it was. I told my friends that I’d be back in a minute, and I ran back to the house. Standing  at the door was Hartlyn in her pink polka-dot billy boots and her ballerina outfit.

  “Avery,” She said to me. “Can you come play with me?”

  I kneeled down so we were face to face. “Hartlyn, I’m outside with my friends right now. You can go play in the playground though and we’ll watch you.”

  She shook her head and a look of fear passed by her face. “No!” She protested.

  I raised an eyebrow at her decline. “Why don’t you want to go outside? You usually love going outside!”

  She cocked her head to the side so she was looking behind me. When she caught me noticing her actions, she immediately made her head go back to her normal position. I put a hand on her shoulder and asked her, “Hartlyn, what’s wrong?”