Chapter Twenty-Seven

Avery

  I had always thought that I could go a full life without any change. My life had been like that until my fourteenth year arrived and I found out the real truth about who I really was. This was when I experienced true change and it was horrible. I had tried to find the good in it, but I found that this was impossible. Nothing good could come from change. Only bad.

  Or so I thought.

  “Well, where is this proof?” Ronnie questioned, crossing her arms.

  As she asked questions, I just listened to my heart beat insanely in my chest. To think that this morning I woke up thinking that I was just going to have a normal day, but was going to go back to sleep knowing the fact that I had a brother and sister was just unbelievable. To make things even more awkward, my brother and sister are the two seventeen year olds that I met around a month or so ago and came to be very good friends with.

  “Just at my house,” Janet replied nonchalantly. “You three don’t mind coming, right? It’s quite worth it to see the proof.”

   Ronnie laughed out loud. “Woman, you’re insane. Simply insane. You think that just because all of a sudden you say that you’re my mom and that these two are my brother’s,” She began, pointing at both Asher and I. “That I’m going to just follow you to your home?” She shook her head. “Insanity.”

  “Ronnie,” I said, placing a hand on her shoulder. “I know for sure that this is my mom. We saw her Facebook page and this is me in this picture. I’m the baby!”

  “You are our sister, Ronnie,” Asher continued. “What are the chances that we’re both born on the same exact day and that this woman knows what all of our full names?” He crossed his arms over his chest and looked at her straight in the eyes. “You have to believe it.”

  “Well, I don’t!” She defended.

  “But you almost seemed to believe it before,” I pointed out. “How did you manage to guess what her daughter’s name was, huh?”

  Ronnie rolled her eyes at me. “I bet you that if I hadn’t guessed my own name, she would have said some random name.” She turned towards Janet. “You’re just a sick woman.”

  Janet raised an eyebrow at this remark. “If I had actually raised you, I think you would have had much better manners.”

  “Please,” Ronnie replied. “I’m not going to believe that you ever had the chance to raise me! I just met you, and I don’t know who you are.” She turned towards Asher and me once more. “You two can believe her lame story, but I won’t.”

  She stormed out of The Caffeine Bean with an angered look on her face. However, before she stomped out of the café, she turned towards Janet and snarled, “You should be the one learning matters. Smoking in a public place? I hope you have fun watching everyone’s lungs rot.”

Once she was out of the café, I exchanged a shocked look with Asher. Neither of us had ever seen her act this way.

  All of a sudden, Janet said to us, “You two believe me, right?”

  Asher nodded his head, looking at her now. “And I bet Ronnie will if she just saw that little bit of proof.” He turned towards me. “She’s probably losing her mind.”

  “Speaking of her mind,” Janet said. “Head actually, what’s happened to her forehead? It looked terrible.”

  “We don’t know what happened to her,” I told her. “She’ll come to her senses though and fix it herself though.”