Chapter 13

"How far along are you?"

"Four weeks,"

Keenan sucks his teeth at her, leaning on his car with his hands in his pockets. Aubrey stands in front of him with her arms crossed, watching him as he fidgets and shifts from one foot to the other. He went straight to Aubrey's house after school to discuss things with her without having the whole student body in their business.

"How did this happen?" Keenan ask her. "We used protection every time Aubrey."

Aubrey shrugs her shoulders, "The condom must have broke or something and we didn't notice." She says and Keenan makes a sound of disgust. Her eyes well up with tears and she covers her face with her hands to avoid Keenan's eyes on her.

"What the hell are you crying for?" Keenan barks at her.

Aubrey takes her hands away from her face and looks up at him with pink watery eyes. "What do you mean why am I crying? Keenan I'm pregnant at 16 by a boy who lied to me about being single. Sevyn hates me because she thinks I did this intentionally."

"Well don't act like you didn't. You waited until we had a whole audience at lunch to tell me you're pregnant. Then you practically rubbed it in Sevyn's face." Keenan argues back, his voice getting louder.

"That could have been avoided if you had just talked to me in the first place. You put your self in this mess Keenan." Aubrey snaps, pointing her finger in his face. He pushes her arm away and turns his back to her, banging his fist on the hood of the car. Aubrey backs away slightly, just in case he gets any idea of turning around and hitting her next.

Keenan stares off into the distance, his body feeling stiff and heavy. His worst nightmare has come true. He lost Sevyn as his girlfriend, she hates him and will most likely never speak to him again. His friends are now against him for hurting their little sister. That goes for Corey and Shaun to, they were like her third and fourth big brothers. And now he's got some girl carrying his seed, a girl he only knew for a few weeks up in Florida. A girl he was hoping to never see again.

He takes his phone out his pocket and glances at the screen. He had sent Sevyn about 8 text and called her 5 times but she didn't reply. He grits his teeth and puts his phone back into his pocket.

Keenan turns around at the sound of Aubrey crying again. He watches her as her lower lip trembles, her legs shake and tears run down her cheeks. Her confident demeanor is gone and is now replaces with a self conscious fragile girl. Keenan sighs and runs his face.

"Please stop crying."

"I can't help it," Aubrey mumbles out. "I'm scared."

Keenan stares at her blotchy face before looking down at her flat stomach. A baby is growing inside her. His baby is growing inside her. Their baby.

"Look, I don't know what to do right now. I got a lot of shit to sort out in my mind and this is all happening so fast. So for right now lets just...just put all this behind us and focus on the baby." He tells her.

Aubrey looks at him in shock, "You-You want to keep the baby?"

"I'm not a dead beat and I'm not gonna tell you to get rid of it, that's cruel as hell." Keenan tells her straight up. "But lets get one thing straight. We are not together. We're not dating, we're not friends with benefits. We're nothing. All I am is that baby's father and your the mother. That's it."

Aubrey swallows down the lump in her throat, wiping away the tears in her eyes. She takes a deep breath to regain her composure. "Fine, that's all we are."

"Good," Keenan says. Without another word he walks to the other side of his car and gets into the driver seat. Soon enough he's driving down the street, leaving Aubrey standing in the yard. Her head swims again and she struggles up the pathway to her house in case she falls out again. She walks through the door and shuts it, making a beeline to the steps.

"Aubrey," Her Aunt calls out, walking into the living room.

"What?" She asks, sighing and turning around.

"Phone." Her aunt hands her the phone before walking away. Sighing, Aubrey lifts the phone to her ear and sits down on the couch. "Yeah ma?"

"Did you tell Keenan yet?" Her mother inquires.

"Yeah, he just left." She tells her. Based on her mothers silence, Aubrey can tell she needs to elaborate. "He obviously isn't happy, especially since his girlfriend broke up with him."

"Girlfriend? Oh Lord have mercy he's nothing but a player." Her mother exclaims with a shocked tone.

Aubrey rolls her eyes, "Yeah. Anyway he said that we should just be parents to the baby and nothing more."

There's silence for a moment before her mother speaks. "Aubrey I don't know what to tell you. You decided to act grown and now you have really have to grow up and prepare yourself for a child." Aubrey doesn't say anything, she bounces her leg in irritation and grips the phone tightly. "Aubrey please talk to me."

"There's nothing to say." Aubrey breaths out. Her and her mother already exchanged colorful words back in Florida when she wanted to "talk" to Aubrey. It only resulted in Aubrey being shipped off to Connecticut.

Her mother sighs and there's footsteps in the background, "Hold on, Victoria is here and she wants to---."

Aubrey hangs up before her mother can finish her sentence. She puts the phone back on the hook in the kitchen before jogging upstairs to her room. She closes the door and takes off her shoes, changing into a pair of shorts and a tank top.

There's no point in Victoria trying to fix things between her and her little sister. Aubrey was devastated when she saw Victoria kissing her boyfriend and from them on she knew that she either had to cut ties with Victoria or continue living in Victoria's shadow.

Victoria tried to apologize but Aubrey wasn't having it. Her 18 year old sister always made excuses for herself and Aubrey always accepted them as apologies. But not this time. She's done with Victoria and she refuses to associate with her any longer. She blocked her number and un-followed her from every social media site. It's time to grow up and handle her own damn self.

Aubrey walks over to the mirror on her door and stares at her reflection. She looks just like her mom which makes her feel sick to her stomach. Her mother was always compared Aubrey to Victoria, saddened that she wasn't following in her older sisters footsteps. Their dad passed away when she was 8 and there's not a day that goes by where she doesn't miss him. He was the only one that understood her. The only one who tried to see things from her point of view. Aubrey knows he must be turning in his grave because of her pregnant but there's no going back now.

Aubrey pinches the hem of her tank top and lifts it to reveal her flat stomach. It's still completely smooth, not yet showing the baby bump that will surely poke through soon. She gazes at the ring dangling from her navel, knowing she'll have to take it out soon. Aubrey looks herself up and down, admiring the curves that will soon turn into one big circle when the baby get bigger.

She places a hand on her warm stomach, still marveling at the fact that an actual human is growing inside her. Never did she consider that she would get pregnant so soon. Everything will have to be put on hold. Senior year, college, her future career. All because she wanted some affection and attention, even if it was just for the night.

When Sevyn gets home from Mrs. Browns house she goes into the kitchen for dinner with her brothers. She hovers near the doorway while Ty and Malcolm head straight for the microwave and take out the dishes of chicken and macaroni. They grab plates and begin piling food on them. Malcolm looks up at Sevyn, "Want me to make you a plate?"

"No thanks, I'm not hungry." She says.

Ty frowns, "Sevyn if this is about what happened earlier today---"

"I just don't feel well." Sevyn cuts him off, weariness in her voice. "Good night." She turns and bounds up the stairs. After dropping her book bag off in her room and taking off her shoes, she changes into her pajamas and plops down on her bed. She looks at her laptop, wondering if she should even bother turning it on. Judging by the way her phone was going off while she was with Jamie, Sevyn figures she must have tons of messages and missed video calls from Keenan.

Ignoring the urge to check her messages, Sevyn heads to the bathroom. She closes the door and forces her self not to look in the mirror. She doesn't want to see the grim expression on her face or the hurt in her eyes.

Sevyn uses the toilet and looks down to see the water below is stained a bright red. She curses under her breath and reaches for a pad under the sink.

"Can this day get any worse?" She grumbles, then flushes and washes her hands. She shuffles back to her room and grabs her brush and scarf, wrapping her hair up for the night. She climbs into bed but before she can lay down a slight knock sounds at her door, "Baby?"

"Yeah, come in." Sevyn nearly whispers. Her mother shuffles into the room with a frown on her face and scrunched eyebrows. "The twins told you what happened. Didn't they?"

Her mother nods and walks over to Sevyn, pulling her into a tight hug. Sevyn thought she would burst into tears but she doesn't. Instead she holds on right to her mother like she might disappear if she lets her go. "Just say it, tell me that you told me so." She mumbles into her mothers shirt.

"No, because no one could have predicted the future." Her mother replies simply. Sevyn closes her eyes as her mother runs her fingers through her hair. "We're not gonna talk about this right now. Just let everything out Sev."

It doesn't take long for the tears to start flowing. Her mother doesn't say anything, she simply holds her as she cries. Sevyn feels like a little girl again, wrapped up in her mothers arms as she cries hard into her shirt. She had only let a few tears slip out earlier, but now this was a full blown snot all over your face, red dots under your eyes, phlegm filled cry. A cry she doesn't want anyone else to see.

A cry of pure pain and betrayal.

**

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT & VOTE!