Chapter 40

"You're lying to me Jared, you're lying like you always do!"

"What the hell do you want me to tell you then since you think everything that leaves my mouth is a damn lie!?"

"Screw you!"

Malcolm walks into the house early from school due to a stomach ache. He was anticipating peace, quiet and a long nap but the way his parents are screaming at each other upstairs tosses that idea out the window. He closes the front door softly and drops his book bag on to the couch. He creeps over to the stairs and strains his ears to listen in on the conversation. His parents have been very secretive lately resulting in heavy tension and quiet dinners. Malcolm and Ty know something isn't right but Sevyn hasn't picked up on it yet. She's too busy up in the clouds with her boyfriend and winning all these volleyball games to really notice what's going on at home.

"What do you want me to tell you Christine?"

"The truth!"

"That's what I've been trying to do for the past couple months now but you always have to add your two cents."

"Because you're lying Jared, I know when you're lying. But you're lying to me, to your kids. Do you know how stupid you're making yourself look? Just come clean!"

There's a long silence and Malcolm holds his breath so he doesn't miss anything.

"I'm not going to put up with this." His father finally says and Malcolm can hear footsteps thudding from upstairs.

"Jared! Jared don't you dare walk away from me!" His mother screams. "You walk around here like you're the worlds #1 dad and you're nothing but a phony liar!"

The footsteps stop, "Where's the damn proof? You're here accusing me and yelling at me for shit you can't prove. I'm tired of this shit. You've lost your damn mind and until you give my some cold hard proof I don't wanna hear you mouthing off again."

There's another long silence before Malcolm hears the loud sound of breaking glass. He puts one foot on the step, ready to investigate the noise but then stops his self when he hears his fathers voice. "Are you fucking crazy?"

"I'm not the crazy one Jared, you are!" His mothers voice is filled with hurt as she screams. The heavy footsteps come closer and Malcolm quickly runs to the front door. He waits until he hears his father walking down the stairs before he opens and closes the door like he just walked into the house. His father pauses on the last step. "Hey, what are you doing home?"

"My stomach has been acting up and I didn't want to throw up on one of my teachers so I came home." Malcolm replies, "Is that ok?"

"Yeah, go lay down and rest." His father replies. Malcolm nods and grabs his book bag, watching as his father walks over to the key rack and grabs his car keys. There's stress and anger on his face and his body sags like he's tired.

"Where are you going?" Malcolm asks.

His father looks at him and Malcolm can tell in his eyes that he's looking for an answer. "I'm making a run to the store. You need anything?" He shakes his head no and his father opens the door. "I'll be back later, feel better."

The door clicks shut and Malcolm watches through the window as his father hops into the car and speeds out the driveway. Going in the opposite direction of the stores. Shaking his head, his climbs the stairs to the second floor and heads to his parents room. The hallway floor is littered with broken glass from what looks like the flower vase his mother kept on the windowsill. Glass crunches under his feet as he walks to the master bedroom. When he reaches it he's shocked to find his mom sitting on the floor with her head in her hands crying hard.