Chapter 33

During lunch that same day, Janine watches in disgust as Jackson sits with Sevyn at her table, talking and laughing with her friends and the twins. He throws a balled up napkin at her and she glares at him before slapping him in the arm. Soon their engaged in a sickening play fight that makes Janine want to go over there and punch both of them.

"If you stare any harder you're gonna burn a whole in their head." Carson warns her and Aubrey laughs.

"Shut the hell up," Janine barks at her. She's still vexed over what Sevyn said in the locker room two days ago. Not only did Sevyn hit a low blow but she threatened her with jail time too. That shit doesn't fly with Janine and she's determined to get back at her for her empty threats. If it wasn't for her slight fear of Monica she would have beaten her down a long time ago. But since she always has Monica and her brothers who act as bodyguards she hasn't had the chance. Plus she doesn't want to be known as the mean girl who beat up poor Sevyn a few days after she almost got raped.

"What does Jackson even see in her? She's Keenan's sloppy seconds who's throwing herself at him." Janine sneers, clenching her ice tea bottle tightly in her hand.

Aubrey quirks her eyebrow up, "Didnt you date Keenan too?" She questions.

Janine shoots her a look that could kill and she looks at Carson for help. Saved by the bell, Jackson gets up from the table and starts heading over to the snack line. Janine takes that her chance to talk to him without his friends or Sevyn around and jumps up from her seat, sauntering over to him.

Carson laughs at how quickly she moved. "She's so thirsty sometimes. But I love her."

Aubrey makes a face at her. Did she really just rank her best friend then say she loves her? Fake alert! Shaking the thought from her mind she munches on her fry. "What happened with her and Keenan anyway?"

Carson bites her lip like she's debating whether she should tell Aubrey or not. She looks over to Janine who's smiling in Jackson's face and holding a conversation with him, before turning back to look at Aubrey. Her blue eyes darken a little before she speaks. "Don't bring up around Janine. But it was a messy break up."

Aubrey nods for her to continue and she does. "So they started dating during eighth grade, young love and stuff. They were the couple that everyone envied and all that junk. Janine was going through a hard time during that year, her mother had just been diagnosed with sickle cell so there were constant doctor visits and nights in the hospital. Keenan was Janine's rock, he held her up when she felt like she was gonna crumble." Carson explains, taking a sip of her water. "They lasted up to freshmen year, they weren't picture perfect but they were strong. Keenan even have her a promise ring for her birthday and it meant a lot to her. She still has it in her jewelry box." Carson's eyes widen. "Don't tell her I told you that."

"Trust me I won't, I don't want you to be killed." Aubrey says.

Carson laughs. "Yeah so anyway, they were all lovey dovey and shit and people really thought that they would last till college. But then during the summer before we entered sophomore year, Keenan started acting real different when he started hang out with Malcolm and Ty. Of course they had Sevyn with them and I guess they got real close because next thing we know Keenan dumps Janine without any warning and two weeks later he's dating Sevyn."

Aubrey's bobs her eyebrows. It's the typical teenage dilemma. Girl falls for boy. Girl and boy start dating for a while. Boy sees something newer and more interesting and leaves girl behind for girl 2.0 Carson glances at Sevyn with turned up lips. "She's not even that pretty."

Aubrey hides her doubtful expression. She's not going to lie and agree with Carson because she's wrong. With her bronzed brown skin, nice body and easy going personality, Aubrey can see why Janine may see Sevyn as a threat. She's easy eye candy for the boys, especially since she's always hanging around them. That, along with her down to earth and fun personality makes it easy to like her. Aubrey sort of wishes she was still hanging with her instead of Janine who only hates her because of jealousy, and Carson who is Janine's yes man.

"People do wild shit over the summer, huh?" Aubrey comments.

"Obviously," Carson says teasingly glancing down at Aubrey's stomach.

She laughs and crosses her arms over her stomach. "Shut up."

Over in the snack line Janine is still talking to Jackson. "You being a stranger to me now?"

"Nah, I've just been busy." Jackson tells her.

She purses her lips, "Really? Doing what?" She challenges. "Too busy with Sevyn to come through or even send a text?"

Jackson scrunches up his eyebrows, "No, I only see Sevyn in school. I have a job after school so I'm kinda busy."

"Y'all got mad close this week. Are you pitying her for what happened at Macys's part?" Janine questions, frowning at him.

"See now why's it gotta be all that?" Jackson asks, paying for his bag of chips. "I'm just makin new friends, I didn't know that was illegal."

"It's not but you can't just ditch your old ones along the way." Janine argues. Jackson gives her a sideways glance before shaking his head and beginning to walk away. Janine sighs and reaches for his arm, "Jac---"

"Janine Westbrooke?" A husky voice asks from behind her.

Both Janine and Jackson turn around to face a police officer and their principal standing behind her. Janine swallows hard, her insides turning to jelly as she looks backs and forth between the two men. "Yes?" She asks.

"Janine you're under arrest for the involvement of a case we're working on." The officer says, reaching out and turning her around as he pulls out a pair of handcuffs.

"What? But I---"

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?" The officer asks while cuffing her.

Janine winces at the tightness of her cuffs and looks over her shoulder to glare at him, "Hell no!" She snaps before turning back to Jackson but he's already walking away. The whole cafeteria has their eyes on Janine and are watching as she squirms and kicks, trying to get away from the officer. Carson and Aubrey run over to her.

"Oh shit, what the hell is going on?" Carson asks staring at her friend being dragged towards the doors.

"Carson!" Principal Kelly snaps, his dark eyes glaring at her. She ignores him and watches as the police officer pulls Janine out the doors while she screams at the top of he lungs.

"Shit," Carson says, digging out her phone and dialing Janine's mom's number.

Aubrey stands there in shock about what happened. She turns around and looks across the room where Sevyn is staring in their direction. She's not smiling or laughing, she's just sitting there blankly.

Once Malcolm has picked Sevyn up from volleyball practice, she hurries into the house and rushes upstairs to her parents room. She bursts into their room without warning, only to find them standing on opposite sides of the room with intense looks on their faces.

Sevyn looks back and forth between them, "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

"No," her father says quickly before sitting down in the big brown chair by the window. "What's up."

Sevyn glances at her mother who simply sits on the bed, crossing her legs underneath her. Bobbing her eyebrows Sevyn comes further into the room, "I just wanted to let you guys know Janine got arrested today. How did that happen?"

"Oh yeah, the detective called me about that today. Apparently Keenan admitted that Janine had something to do with drugging you and they're giving her jail time for it. Especially since the drugs were illegal, only God knows how she got them." Her father replies.

"I can name a few ways." Sevyn snorts. "I'm just glad she's receiving consequences for what she did to me. Now I can relax." Her parents exchange a tense look and she groans. She's familiar with their 'who's gonna tell her the bad news,' type look. "Uh-oh, what now?"

Her mother shifts on the bed and looks Sevyn in the eye. "Depending on what happens when they take Janine in, Keenan could be getting out of jail sooner than we hoped."

**
COMMENT!!!! VOTE!!!!