Chapter 45

On Sunday morning Sevyn's mom wakes her up to announce that they're spending the day together. Feeling a little confused, Sevyn does as she's told and gets dressed in a navy sweater, grey jeans and the new boots she bought yesterday at the mall. Her mother is already waiting for her downstairs so she grabs a pop tart and leaves out the door.

"Where are we going?" Sevyn asks as they drive down the highway.

"I'm not sure yet, I just want to get out of the house. It seems like all I do is work and sleep, your father hasn't taken me out on a date in God knows how long." She does that eye roll again that always happens when her dad is present or mentioned. "And I also want to just spend some time with you, I'm sorry if I've been kind of distant lately."

"Yeah, wassup with that?" Sevyn asks, "Are you and dad doing ok?"

Her mother glances at her as they slow down due to traffic. "To tell you the truth Sevyn I don't even know. We can't go one day without arguing and it hurts because I love him yet he keeps pushing me away. I know it must be weird to see us this way but we'll get through it, I promise."

Sevyn furrows her eyebrows feeling unsatisfied, "What do you argue about?"

"That's grown folks business that you don't need to worry about right now." Her mother says and Sevyn knows better than to ask again. "Just know that this is nothing you need to try to solve for us. Every relationship has problems sometimes, we'll be fine."

Sevyn almost laughs. How can't she worry? Her parents practically ignore each other around the house and all they do is fuss behind closed doors. She can't even remember the last time she saw her dad so much as kiss her mothers cheek.

"Today's all about me and you. We haven't talked in the longest, how are you and Jackson?" Her mom asks.

At the mention of her boyfriend Sevyn feels herself perk up. She starts babbling to her mom all about Jackson,how he makes her smile,how he annoys her just for fun, how he protects her at all cost. She can't seem to stop talking and when she finally does she feels like there's more to say.

"And since I was ignoring his call he climb---" she cuts herself off when she realizes she almost snitched on herself.

"He what?" Her mother asks, catching that last word and narrowing her eyes at Sevyn. Sevyn struggles to think of something reasonable to say but nothing good comes to mind. Her mother glances at her but she avoids her eyes. "Sevyn look, I'm glad that you're happy with Jackson and I'm glad he's treating you so nicely. But boys will do and say anything to get you to sleep with them."

"Ma!" Sevyn says, wondering how this topic even came up.

"Don't 'ma' me, I know how these little nappy headed boys are. And I know people may tel you how glorious sex is and all these other stories but its only glorious if you do it with the right person. Once your virginity is taken that person has a piece of you forever. Give it to someone special."

"I know mommy and I promise to wait for that person. It may or may not be Jackson but I'll know it when the time comes. And it's not like he's pressuring me to do it even though I know he's not a virgin. Jackson isn't like Keenan, thank God."

"Thank God is right." Her mother makes a face at the mention of him. "I'm glad things are going so well for you Sev."

Sevyn smiles even though she intentionally left out the part about people gossiping about her at school and giving her dirty looks. She doesn't like talking about it with anyone and she knows her mother will make a huge scene and go up to the school demanding to talk to the principle. That will only make things worse so right now she just sits back and enjoys her mother daughter day.