Chapter 30

After changing into her shorts and t-shirt, Sevyn walks out of the locker room and into the gym for volleyball practice. She doesn't make it very far before she hears Coach Meyers yelling her name. She turns around and faces Coach as she approaches her. Her yellow shirt makes her look like a flash of light as she quickly jogs over to Sevyn.

"Wassup?" Sevyn asks.

"Well I heard about your current situation and I just wanted to make sure you're ok. If you want to sit this practice out then you can." Coach tells her, her eyes filled with sympathy.

Sevyn blinks at her confused, "Um...what?" She asks.

Coach leans closer to her and lowers your voice. "I heard about what happened Saturday and how you might not be feeling like yourself. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, just know that I understand."

Sevyn fights the urge to let out a sarcastic laugh. How could Coach possibly understand? Did her ex boyfriend drug her and try to rape her? Did she throw up on a cop and then pass out? No. There is no way Coach could possibly understand what the after effects feel like.

After her encounter with Macy, Sevyn had a relatively good day. Everyone was still buzzing about the party but so far no one questioned her about what happened. Apparently Macy is nice enough not to spread rumors around like Janine was apparently trying to do.

Realization suddenly hits Sevyn and she stares at her Coach. From her long black hair and deep brown skin to her green track suit, Sevyn looks her up and down. "How do you know what happened?" She asks, her eye flicking over to Janine accusingly.

"Your mother sent out an email to the teachers, telling us that you may be out of it for a while. She explained the situation and asked us to take it easy on you for a while since you're under a lot of stress."

Sevyn cant believe what she's hearing. She told her parents she was fine yet her mother feels the need to alert the teachers about Saturday night. The anger she's feeling inside must be expressed on her face because Coach Meyers quickly speaks again. "Don't worry I haven't said a word to the team and you don't have to if you don't want to. It can just be a little secret."

"Thanks," Sevyn says flatly before turning and quickly storming away. She doesn't want it to be a secret. She never wanted it to happen in the first place. No wonder the teachers were giving her weird looks, they all knew what went down on Saturday because of her mother. Sevyn doesn't realize how tense her body is before her back starts to ache. She sighs, wishing she had the sense to bring the painkillers that her doctor prescribed. Then again if someone at school saw her popping pills they'd probably think she was some sort of drug addict. Word travels fast around here.

Coach blows her whistle and everyone lines up. As she runs over today's practice schedule, Sevyn looks at Janine who's chomping on a piece of gum like a horse, even though coach will make her spit it out and run laps if she catches her. Sevyn's frustration only increases when she remembers that Janine is the one who lied to Macy about what happened Saturday night. But instead of letting Monica lay her out, Sevyn decides to handle her on her own. The last thing she needs is her best friend going to jail for knocking a bitch out.

Once practice is over the girls return to the locker rooms to grab their things and leave. When the locker room is almost empty, Sevyn takes that chance to confront Janine. She grabs her gym bag and walks to the other side of the lockers where Janine and Carson are talking. When she appears, Carson's sentence trails off and Janine turns around to come face to face with Sevyn. Her eyes flicker as her lips stretch into a sweet smile.

"Hey Sev," she chirps warmly.

Sevyn is already too irritated to feed into her fake smile. "Word on the street is you've been talking about me to Macy."