Boyish Plans

On his way to the pub, Benji was rudely interrupted by Parker on a skateboard. A few of his mates accompanied him.

“Ah, can we do it some other time, boys?” Benji asked.

“We saw that fine lookin’ girl come out from your flat?” Parker licked his top lip slowly.

A fuming flame ignited inside of Benji’s small body and he could feel the veins in his forehead expand. “You leave her alone.”

“Aww, is she letting you do everything for free, yeah?” Parker teased, lengthening his neck like a turtle. He made an obscene gesture that made Benji’s stomach turn in disgust.

“She’s not that kind of girl. Now, excuse me.”

“You’re not going anywhere,” threatened one of Parker’s friends as he stepped in front of Benji. He fisted his other hand, making Benji jump. “Come on, lad, all we want is what you owe us.”

“I already paid you lot. Stop with this stupidity before I call the cops.”

“You ain’t got your phone on you, now do you?” Parker said through an annoying, gaping smile.

Benji patted his pockets and realised that he was indeed without a mobile. Groaning in annoyance, he turned around to head to his house before the other man grabbed him by the collar. “I haven’t got money or my phone! So, beat me up after I drink, at least I won’t feel anythin’.” He shrugged the man’s hand off of him and gave him his most threatening glare before he found himself sitting on the sidewalk with blood pouring from his nose.

“You want to try that again, lil’ man, aye?” the offender shouted, beating his hand again in a more violent fashion.

Parker intervened and pushed his friend away. “Come off it, Benji didn’t mean any harm.” Kneeling in front of Benji, Parker stared at him with incensed anger. “You just made my boy mad.”

“Ah, Parker, for goodness sake, if he can’t handle a flick of the arm—,” Benji closed his mouth at the sight of Parker’s switch blade.

“I’ll carve you—,”

“You’re not doing anythin’ to him!” boomed a strong voice behind Benji.

Benji twisted his head around and a thankful smile exploded on his face. “Copper!”

“I called the cops on you lot, so, you touch my friend again, I’ll,” Copper stopped and blinked in thought. “I don’t know what I’ll do, but whatever. Come along, Benji.” Copper reached down and pulled Benji to his feet.

Parker grumbled and stepped aside as the two friends walked towards the pub.

“Thanks, mate,” Benji said, patting Copper’s large shoulder. “What you doing around here?”

“I live in that flat, too, I forgot a few things and saw you got yourself in a fix. What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t stop by?”

“Thought you left.”

Copper rolled his eyes and rubbed his knuckles on top of Benji’s head while pulling him into a headlock. “You silly tosser, I wouldn’t leave you. You’re my other ‘alf.”

Benji dropped his head on Copper’s side. “It’s been a long day.”

“It’s only one o’clock.”

“Is it? Well, hope the next hours will be better. Though, I’ve got a job now. I think”

Copper jumped from Benji’s side and pulled his fists down in victorious pumps. “Really? Benji! That’s wonderful! Body slam!”