"I Think I Love Her"

Benji stared at the kettle, almost hoping that if he stood in front of the appliance, it would hurry up. But the water bubbled, the steam laddered, but time passed like it always had whenever he put the kettle on. “Come on, baby, hurry up for, daddy,” Benji hummed through his thumbnail. He did a small dance, bending up and down from the knees and kicking his toes out to a beat in his head. “Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up for the pretty lady—,”

“Who are you talking to?” Kris’s voice came from the kitchen doorway.

Benji squealed and ran into the counter, his feet pedaling behind him in an attempt to escape. “I was talking to the kettle, I swear!”

Kris laughed and folded her arms. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Flipping around, his arms propped up on the counter behind him, Benji stared at the leggy brunette.  His breath flew away from him, leaving a strange pain in his lungs. “I’m sorry about the t-shirt. I meant to give you something more suitable. Not my Wank the Wanking Wanker t-shirt. It was a bad joke a friend gave to me. I should’ve thrown it in the rubbish long ago, but, I didn’t. Obviously, since you’re wearing it. I’m sorry, I can get you another.” Benji made to go upstairs before Kris held out a soft palm.

“It’s fine. It fits, that’s all that matters until my clothes dry.”

“I-I’m sorry for all this. I meant it to go entirely different, I mean. I didn’t want to spill coffee on you, but it happened.”

“It’s all right, really. I’m fine.” Kris broke into a white smile, her cheeks dimpling and her eyes crinkling in a childish manner. “Really, it’s not what I planned either, but, you know, stuff happens. And I’m okay with that.” She uncrossed her arms and stacked a few strands of hair behind her tapered ear.

Benji couldn’t help but watch as her face was revealed more from that one movement of hair irritation. She was beautiful. Gorgeous. He couldn’t believe a man of his stature was standing before such a lovely woman. Swallowing what felt like sandpaper, Benji stuttered, “Would you like tea? Or hot chocolate? I make a fantastic cup if you’d like. But don’t be polite and say you do when, in actuality, you don’t like it at all.” Benji shuffled over to the cupboard and took out two mugs, both being in the shape of zombie faces. He laughed in embarrassment and showed the collector’s cups to her before hiding the main artwork behind his fingers.

“So, Ms. Madison, how did you come to England?”

Leaning against the doorframe, Kris replied, “My parents. My dad is a CEO here, and my Mom was born here. I was raised in America since I was four, so, no accent.”

“Ah, it’s fine. I don’t hear Americans often, except on the tellie.” Benji poured the hot water. He didn’t realise how nervous he was until the kettle began shaking and the hot water began waterfalling everywhere but inside the mugs. Trying to control himself, Benji chewed frantically on his bottom lip and tried to steady the boiling water, but his nerves got the better of him and the water strewed all over the hand holding the mug still. Benji’s mouth opened in shock and he placed the kettle down before letting out a yelp.

“Are you okay?” Kris ran forward, avoiding the growing puddle of water on the floor. “Did you burn yourself?”

“It’s all right, it’s just a minor scalding, no biggie!” Benji let out sharp gasps and his eyes watered from the searing pain.

Kris took his reddening hand and carefully guided him to the sink. She turned on the facet and placed his hand under a stream of cold water. Looking down at him, for he was about three inches shorter than her, she asked in her sweetest voice, “You okay?”