Chapter 23

Leonardo squeezes my hand tightly, as I look to him for reassurance. His face is grim, for he can not mask the danger we are in.

Feet pound the floors of the small cottage for what feels like centuries before they finally give an all clear, and start to leave the house.

"Prince Pier, are you sure she was kidnapped and didn't leave of her own free will," a guard asks.

"I'm positive- some stable boy stole her away, and knocked me unconscious. He threatened to kill her if we followed, and now who knows what's happening to her- and on our wedding day no doubt," he choked out through false tears. I feel sick to my stomach at his untruthful statement.

The front door slams, and after about a half hour, Elsa opens the trapdoor.

"You two can come up now- they're long gone. William is retrieving your horses now," she states, ushering us up the ladder. Leonardo goes up first, before outreaching his hand to help me after him.

We follow her to the kitchen, just as a sharp knock sounds at the door.

"Who is it," Elsa calls shakily.

"It's Alice- now open the door before I'm spotted," a familiar voice replies. I rush past Elsa to the door, and swiftly pull it open.

"Alice-" I exclaim, pulling her into a hug. She is holding multiple bags, and a carriage is waiting outside of our house for her. Echo and Snowflower are hitched to it, along with two large chestnut horses.

"No time for that," she dismisses, raising a hand. "You two can't stay here- not while Pier is spreading the lies that he is. You must leave, to Paris. I've filled this carriage with lots of your valuables and plenty of dresses and fabric. You have enough money to last you a good long while. Once night falls, you will start on the dirt roads- go to the west till you cross over into France. Stay in the Swallows Inn, they are good friends of the family and I've already sent a telegram to tell them of your arrival. Once you get far enough into France, people won't recognize you. Once you get into Paris, go to the Slator Manor, and they will house you till you find a house of your own," she hurriedly explains.

"Alice, I don't speak french," Leonardo interjects.

"I do," I quietly reply.

"I know," Alice chuckles. "You can't stop anywhere till you get into France, but don't worry- it is not as far as it seems. Our kingdom is much smaller than you would imagine. Now I have to go or we'll all be in danger."

"Alice," I whisper. "Will we ever be able to come back?"

"Maybe. If I can ever convince your parents what really happened, and Pier is convicted, yes. But it would be so difficult, especially when your father and Pier's are so close. If Pier were to marry- or to die- maybe. Just maybe. But we have to assume this is the last time we'll see each other," she replies, tears starting to bud in her eyes.

"Thank you for everything Alice," I whisper, pulling her tightly into a hug. "I- I don't know what I would have done without you."

"You'd be getting married right now," she chuckles, causing me to stiffen.

I notice that William is saddling up one of the chestnut horses with a sidesaddle, and the other with a regular one.

"William is escorting me back to the palace," she explains. "The only horses you'll have are Echo and Snowflower."

I nod, hugging her one last time.

"Goodbye Alice."

"Goodbye Clarabelle."

-------------

Night is upon us, as Leonardo and I load into the carriage.

"Thank you for taking care of us," I say to Elsa and William.

"It was our pleasure Princess," William gruffly replies.

"Just- be safe," Elsa whispers, grabbing my hand.

"We will," Leonardo assures. And with that, he snaps the reigns, causing the horses to pull into a trot, and then a canter.

We ride across the countryside, mostly in silence, as I lean on his side. I should be in the back, but I like the feel of the wind in my hair.

"Can I steer," I ask after a while, flashing my baby blues.

He nods, and hands me they reigns. I click them, causing the horses to take off in a full blown gallop.

"Jesus Clara," Leonardo curses. "They're going to makes us lose all of our luggage!" He snatches the reigns from my hands, and slows the horses.

"I'm sorry for yelling- I'm just really tired," he sighs.

"I know what you mean," I chuckle, not the slightest bit offended. "And to think, today was supposed to be my wedding day."

Leonardo turns to stare at me, and I see a gleam in his eye even though it's nearly pitch black.

"It still could be you know," he whispers.

"What?" I gasp, as he pulls the carriage to a stop.

"Clarabelle, will you-"

Before he can finish his sentence, I crash my lips into his. This kiss is different than our first, and much different than any kiss I ever had with Pier- in fact, it is the single greatest kiss I've ever experienced.

"Of course," I agree once I pull away for air. "But not today- once we get into Paris and I know we're safe."

He nods at me, and places a light kiss on my forehead.

"I'll wait as long as I need to," he whispers into my hair.

After a few moments, he starts up the horses again, who easily pull into a trot, not showing signs of exhaustion yet.

The sun start to show over the horizon, which reveals a wooden sign in the distance that gives me hope.

Though we are too far away to see the written words on the sign, I recognize it. I've seen it many times before- the sign symbolizes that we are crossing over the French border.

Into safety.

A/N

Thank you for being so patient- and yes I know how hasty it is for Clarabelle and Leonardo to get married but this is fiction. And remember that they knew each other for months, although I didn't elaborate on all of the time they spent together in the barn.

I only have one chapter left in this book! Thank you for reading!