Chapter 17

"Now that I'm going to kill you, iI might as well tell you who I am," the burly ruffian chuckles. "The names Arthur, but everyone calls me Red. I was head of a group who one of your subjects murdered most of. So now, I am going to kill you. An eye for an eye."

"You'll never get away with this," I whisper, my voice shaky.

"May I say, my dear Princess, you look beautiful in that red cape," he hisses, ignoring my statement. "Now I'd love to stay and chat, but I have some business to take care of."

He raises a dagger as if to throw it, and starts to launch it at me. But an ear splitting bang goes off, startling us both. His body slumps over, and falls off of the horse- dead.

I look behind the horse and see a small group of palace knights. Pier stands in the front of them, aiming what looks like a small musket.

"What is that?" I shriek.

"A pistol. They are fairly new, and only being used in the Americas. My father is now arming my kingdoms knights with them," Pier explains.

I glance around and take in the people around me. These are my fathers men, and there is no way they would be able to get from the palace to here as fast as they did. Unless...

"This was a set up?" I question, although it comes out as a statement.

"Well... there were reports that Red was in these woods so I said I'd take you on a ride and-"

"So you lied to me? I can't believe you," I shout, not caring that I'm having a breakdown in front of my subjects.

I grab hold of the reigns of Red's horse, a tall white Arabian mare, and click my heels against Echo, pulling him into a gallop. I ride away with the mare trailing behind us.

I hear hoofbeats coming up behind me as the knights follow me, which only causes me to urge Echo faster. He obliges, and we run until the barn is in sight.

I don't notice I'm crying until it becomes hard for me to see. I grab Echo's mane and bury my head in his neck. He knows the way home, so I don't bother steering.

I can't believe Pier would put me in harms way to catch those ruffians. I could have died. In fact, one second more and I would have died. Of all the stupid things he'a ever done, this tops the list.

Echo stops, and I lift my head to see where I am. The familiar surroundings of the stable consume my senses as I dismount.

"Clarabelle, where did this horse come from," a familiar voice asks. Leonardo stands behind me, but I don't dare turn around and let him see me cry.

"She- she's a stray. Put her in a stall and make sure to take care of her. I might be back to check on her in a day or two," I whisper, trying to mask the tears in my voice.

"Are you crying?"

"No," I answer, before letting my tears consume me. I start to fall to my knees, but Leonardo catches me, and hugs me close

"Shhh...shh, its okay," he murmurs into my hair.

We stand like that for a while, before a sound of loud hoofbeats draws near. I quickly pull away, and wipe my eyes.

"Take care of these two," I order, turning to walk away.

"Clarabelle," he calls as I take a few steps.

"Yes," I reply, turning my head.

"What is her name?"

I ponder over this question for a moment. I didn't really think of a name. After a bit of thinking, I decide.

"Snowflower," I answer, before heading back to the castle.

I hear hoofbeats getting closer and closer to me.

"What was that? Leaving without am escort, you could have been killed," Pier shouts.

"I was safer on my own than I was with you," I snarl. I don't bother looking at him- my eyes are fixed on the castle. Once I get there, I'll just shut Pier out. I don't want to be anywhere near him right now, especially since I might say something I'll regret later

"You were never in any danger," Pier snorts.

"Then why couldn't you tell me beforehand? Is this how it's going to be when we're married? You keeping everything from me?" I question, a sharp edge to my voice.

"It wasn't like that! You didnt need to know because-"

"Because what?" I cut him off. "Because you knew I wouldn't go if you told me? You know Pier, I thought you were taking me on a ride so we could mend our relationship. But if that's how little I mean to you, then I don't want to be anywhere near you," I shout, before grabbing the hem of my dress high enough that I won't trip, and running away from him.

I make it to my bedchambers, and lock the door tightly. I place the key on a chain and place it around my neck.

"Clarabelle, are you alright?" mother calls from behind the door.

"I'm not feeling well. I want my supper delivered to my room tonight- and tomorrow, too," I reply.

"Clara," she cautions. "Open this door right now"

"I don't think I will," I sass. I don't want to be around people today. And if I go to dinner, I'll have to see Pier.

I hear mother groan, before the sound of her footsteps become more and more distant.

I pace my room for a few moments before letting my cape fall to the floor. Still in the white dress, I lie down on my bed to think.

I can't marry Pier. I know that I'm supposed to, and it's what's been planned, but I can't do it. Before today, I had resigned myself to living a miserable life married to someone I don't love. But now- after he's lied to me and put me in danger- I won't do it.

I don't know how, but I have to find a way out of it- somehow.