Chapter 14

"Is everything alright darling," Pier asks.

We're ambling around one of he gardens for an evening stroll before I retire for the night. For the past few minutes he's been studying my face.

"Of course. Why do you ask?" I quickly reply- a little too quickly.

"Well, ever since they moved up the wedding date you've been moping around, when most girls would be excited and happy. You have just seemed very- different. Is it because you've stopped going to the barn," he asks. I feel like it's a trick question, so I answer cautiously.

"A little- I miss my horse so much. Echo has half of my heart, but I don't like going to the barn as much. It's quite dirty, and I'm starting to see why mother doesn't like me going down there," I answer thoughtfully, although I'm being extremely deceitful. I love everything about the stables, and I disagree tremendously with my mother on the subject.

Pier nods at me, accepting my answer. For once, it seems I've killed his suspicions.

"Would you like me to go with you to the barn tomorrow? We can go on a ride together," he suggests, stopping me in my tracks.

He doesn't understand my love of horses, and I would never imagine him participating in it. On one hand, I'm so flattered beyond belief, and want nothing more than to go riding with Pier.

But Leonardo will surely be there, and that would be... torture. For both of us.

Pier looks at me expectantly, and I realize that I need to say something, or else he'll get suspicious.

"That would be wonderful," I beam, reaching up to kiss his cheek.

"I thought you'd think so," he cheerily replies.

We've made our way back to the entrance of my wing of the castle.

"So I'll meet you by your door after breakfast time," he arranges. I nod eagerly, and smile.

"I'll see you then."

After he is out of sight, I head to my bedchambers, and change into a nightgown. While I'm in my closet, I choose a riding dress for tomorrow. It's a white riding dress, paired with a long red hood. It reminds me of an old fable of a little girl who wears a red hood and gets attacked by a talking wolf, or something silly like that.

I lay the clothes out, and them climb into my warm, inviting bed. I am eager to fall asleep after my long, and tiring day of trying on dresses and keeping company with Pier... and missing the stables, and everything that comes along with it.

You would think I'd me much more excited about going to the stables tomorrow, but I'm dreading it. Yes, I'll be able to see my horse, and go riding with Pier, but it will be so unsettling to see Leonardo, especially while I'm with Pier. But of course I can't object, or else I'll just evoke another fight with Pier, which is never fun.

If only my life weren't so complicated. Sometimes I wish I were a peasant, and could choose how my life would be.

Sadly, those are just wishes that will never come true.

But I still wish them.

A/N

Sorry it's so short!!!!! But I promise my next chapter will be longer!

If you didn't see it in my other book,

I have some bad news....

For Thanksgiving, I'm going to my aunts house out in the country. I'm so excited because it's snowing and I haven't seen snow in over a year!!! plus I love my aunt she's awesome.

But... I most likely won't have any internet access for a week- I'm leaving tomorrow. If I get any internet, I'll try to update, but if I don't update for a week, it's not because I don't feel like it, it's because I can't.