Chapter 4

Echo trots into town, and I'm automatically recognized.

I see a young boy grasp his mothers skirt, and tug it. He points at me and exclaims, "Look Mommy, it's the princess."

I smile, and wave at him, before trotting off deeper into town.

I notice a rustic little bakery, and realize that I'm quite famished. I dismount echo, and tie him to the post. Then I enter through the tall, wooden door.

A little bell rings when I enter, causing the barista to look up from her knitting. The moment she recognizes me, she jumps up.

"Prin-princess C-Clarabelle, what would you like," she stutters.

I look over the selection, and notice a pastry covered in wild berries and powdered sugar.

"I'd like whatever that is," I reply, pointing to it. "How much?"

"Oh, for you it's free Princess," she nervously laughs.

"Nonsense. How much?" I ask again.

"Five gold coins," she sighs. I count the change out, and hand it to her. In return, she gives me the pastry.

"Have a nice day," I chime before exiting.

I sit down outside and devour my pastry. It tastes simply wonderful, so flavorful and sweet. In just moments, it's gone.

I'm about to mount my horse when a young girl runs up to me, and tugs on my skirt.

"Are you really the Princess," she asks in wonder. I see her mother in the background, running to catch her, her face red with embarrassment.

"Yes sweetheart. I am," I chuckle. Her eyes widen, and she gives me a cheeky grin.

"I love your hat," she giggles. I smile warmly at her, and take my blue hat off.

"Here, you can have it," I reply, reaching it out towards her. Her grin widens, and she hugs me, and runs back to her mother.

I smile to myself. Most princesses would have a heart attack if a peasant ran up to them like that, but I love children. They are so innocent, not at all vain or self conscious. They have no shame.

I mount Echo, and turn to head back to the castle, but I seem to get lost. I end up in a dark and scary alleyway. I silently curse myself for not bringing an escort.

I start to turn Echo out of the alley so I can find my way back, but am stopped by a group a burly men. The leader of the group looks at my horse, and notices the palace seal on my saddle.

"A palace horse? You're a long way from the palace sweetheart," he chuckles darkly.

"If you could give me directions to get back, I'd greatly appreciate it," I stammer, trying to sound confident. But my voice comes out weak and quiet.

"Wait," another says. "I recognize you! You're the princess, aren't you?"

"Yes," I reply. Then I think about it- I am the princess. Therefore, I have power over every one of them. "Yes I am the Princess," I almost shout, power dripping in my voice. I seem to stun them, but only momentarily.

"Well, I bet you have lots of coins with you, don't you? And you're horses tack is all gold, it's probably worth more than my house. Not to mention your jewelry. Heck, even your shoes and your dress are worth a lot," one of them sums up.

"Well I suppose, but-" I nervously mutter.

"This can go one of two ways," the leader, or what I assume is the leader, interrupts. "You can hand over all of your money, your jewelry, and your horse, and we'll let you walk free- or, well take all of that anyway, and kill you. Your choice."

I'd hand over all of my possessions, but not my horse. No, not Echo.

I silently make my choice, and kick Echo's flanks as hard as I can. He attempts to take off, but one of the men instantly grabs his reigns, while another takes hold of my feet, and pulls me off of Echo.

My gut reaction is to scream. So I scream, I kick and yell and I fight. Which helps, a little. But not much.

My diamond necklace that I forgot I was wearing is torn from my neck, along with my earrings. I see Echo's saddle and bridle ripped from him, and a rope thrown around his neck.

I feel a sharp pain in my side, and know I've been stabbed. I start to feel dizzy from blood loss, and know I'm about to pass out.

Before my eyes close, I notice a boy ride in, about my age, with his sword raised. a shiny golden emblem catches my eye on his horses saddle- the palace seal. It's a palace horse.

Before the world fades to black, one thought runs through my mind.

I've been rescued.

A/N

Who do you think mystery rescuer is? It's pretty obvious, but still.

Goodnight my lovelies!