Forty Four.

Trigger warning for ableist slurs and minor violence.

-

Lauren realises that coming to the party was a bad idea the second Camila's car pulls up and she can hear the loud music from a few houses down.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Camila asks, almost as if she senses Lauren's discomfort. "I know you hate loud places."

"I am sure." Lauren decides, because she'd promised Camila that she'd try. And she wants to be able to go out with Camila to parties and do other stereotypically 'teenager' things. "I want to try."

"Okay." Camila replies, opening up the car door. "Let's go, then."

The second they're out of the car, Lauren takes Camila's hand and follows her girlfriend towards the house the party is being held at, both of them fully aware that it's not a good idea, but Camila not wanting to push Lauren and Lauren not wanting to disappoint anyone.

Once they're outside the correct house, Camila stops them. "Lauren. You don't have to do this."

"I know." Lauren stares at the house apprehensively. "But I want to see if I can."

"I don't want you to go into sensory overload. It makes you feel so bad and you're always upset for hours after." Camila says. "I don't want anything to make you feel bad. I want you to be happy."

"I know." Lauren repeats. "I want to try. If I don't like it, we can leave."

Camila gives her a hesitant nod, and they head into the house, Lauren's hands immediately shooting up to cover her ears at the noise. Camila wants them to go then and there, but when she starts moving back towards the door, Lauren shakes her head and keeps walking them further into the house.

"Lauren, let's just go." Camila shouts over the music. "This isn't going to go well and we both know it."

"I would like a drink." Lauren calmly replies, her hands still over her ears. "Can we get a drink?"

"Fine." Camila says. "One drink and then we leave. Okay?"

Lauren doesn't reply, and instead closes her eyes and takes one hand from her ear to hold Camila's hand. "Take me to the drinks, please."

Camila leads Lauren through the house and into the kitchen, getting her girlfriend a can of soda. "There. You have a drink. Now drink it so we can leave without any tears."

Lauren opens her eyes for a second and nods, taking the drink from Camila and opening it up. She takes a sip and then closes her eyes again. "So... what do you do now? I know you're supposed to get a drink, but then what do you do?"

"Talk to people, I guess?" Camila shrugs. "But look, you're talking to me right now. So you can finish your drink in the car."

Lauren frowns and takes another sip of her drink. "I want to stay until I finish it."

"Hey, Mila, Lauren," Shawn taps Camila on the shoulder and sends Lauren a smile, but she doesn't see it because her eyes are still closed. "How are- wait, Lauren, why do you have your eyes closed?"

"It is very loud in here, and since I cannot control the volume, I have my eyes closed to filter out any visual stimuli." Lauren explains, rocking on her heels. "I do not like how loud it is."

"Oh..." Shawn looks over at Camila with a frown. "Okay then. Anyway, Mila, there's some people I want you to meet."

Shawn grabs onto Camila's arm and pulls her over to a group of guys, and Camila is incredibly thankful that she has her death grip on Lauren's hand, because the last thing she wants is to lose her girlfriend in a place like this.