Big Break (Short Story)

We've been friends since we were six years old. Now everything's so different. Katie Jacob's was just about my only friend growing up in fact. Now I only see her face in shop windows. She was always the popular one, everyone knew her bright smile. Now her smile is all over the news.

We did everything together, now we're only ever apart. It's a strange feeling to have someone who's always been there, not there anymore. But I remember the games we played, and the songs we sang off key, whilst her voice rung crystal over my crow.

I always thought she was destined for more, like her music would get her somewhere. Who knew getting your big break could change so much and be so different to what you expected it to be. I was so happy for her. And now I wish she'd never reached out for success. I was so desperate for her happiness, that I couldn't see the mess she was letting herself into.

Now it doesn't even matter. She's dead. She's gone.

Standing at her funeral, roses in my hands, tears on my cheeks, mist in my eyes. On their mission for gossip the paparazzi ran her off the road, there wasn't enough left for her car to be towed. And they never showed the respect that they owed her.

Cut down before you could make it big Katie. Goodness knows who you'd have been Katie.

~~~~~

Note from Moi!

This was a challenge I set myself. I chose the title big break and a word limit to work to strictly to see what I could come up with. This was the result.