Chapter 2

'What the-'Cameron Ballard mumbled when he felt the chick try and push him away. He closed his eyes and grimaced when the bedside lamp was switched on. 'Put that out, babe. And get back in bed.'

'What?'she half-screeched,half-whispered. 'Who the hell are you? And what are you doing, molesting me in my sleep? Is that how you like them, unresponsive? If so you need help.' Her round face looked thoughtful, which was adorable.  Her emerald green eyes studied him carefully. He would have said that she was checking him out if she hadn't said what she said next. 'I'm sure there are places that can help you with whatever problem you are having.'

'I don't have a problem,'he growled. She jutted her lips out and folded her arms under her surprisingly bountiful breasts.  Which he would stop staring at soon. Hopefully. In a minute or so.

'Hey, stranger in my bed, my eyes are up here,'she snapped angrily. Cameron shot his eyes back to her face. Her frown made him want to smooth it over and make whatever made her frown go away.

What was wrong with him? He had never felt such things for any women, not even those he had slept with. He had to get away. Or better throw her out. Scott had promised that he wouldn't be disturbed while he was recuperating but he had been disturbed the moment he arrived to the pent house.

'You had better go,'he told the weird but adorable chick. 'Scott wouldn't be happy that you hadn't given up the keys and had just barged in here. So before I tell him and he press charges, please leave. And leave your keys at the table.'

'What are you talking about?'she asked. 'I'm here under Amelia and Scott's permission. They know I'm here. Maybe it's you who have to leave. Does Amelia know that you are here? Does Scott? And what do you mean, 'barged in here'? Ohhh. Does Scott give away the key to all of his hook ups? Does Amelia know?'

'No, no. Scott would never do that,'he hurriedly jumped in. He didn't want to rock the boat of Scott's new marriage. He had continually told Scott that he had to be more careful with access to his penthouse. Clearly, this chick knew Amelia so she was known to both of them. His brain hurt, trying to figure out what was going on. 'Look, why don't just call them and figure out what happened?'

She looked distrustfully at him and grabbed her cellphone by the bedside table and went to the other side of the room to converse. Cameron sighed and dug out his phone from his discarded jeans. Yes, he had stripped to his boxers when he had gotten into bed. Sue him.

'Hello?'Scott answered sleepily. It must be midnight at the West Coast.

'Hey man,'Cameron greeted. 'I think we have a mix up. There's this chick in your pent house. She is annoying as hell and won't shut up. Can I kick her out?'

'No man,'Scott said, fully awake now. 'It's Amelia's sister. She's staying there until she gets back on her feet. I thought you guys won't be in each other's way so I didn't say anything.'

'But you said that I won't be disturbed,' Cameron replied frustrated.  He didn't want to watch himself. The women that he meets will always try to seduce him to get access to his money and fame. Plus she was hot, her dark wavy hair flowing down her back and her shapely figure visible under the baggy shirt and track pants.

'She doesn't know you, dude,'Scott told him, chuckling slightly.  Cameron found that hard to believe. 'Look just put up with her for a few weeks-'

Suddenly the line was muffled slightly and Amelia came on. 'He'll talk to you later, Cam. He has some things to answer to,'she said pleasantly but Cameron heard the anger. Apparently the chick had told her about his slip. Scott was in  trouble.

He looked towards the chick and saw her frown at her phone. She turned the frown to him.

'Well, Amelia said that I had to put up with you even though I told her I could possibly find people to off you,'she said, sounding disappointed. He was slightly startled by her word. Off him? 'She said people will miss you and look for you and stuff. She said I have no money to afford a lawyer and she didn't want to support my-'

'Wait, we're talking about my murder right?'he cut in.

'Well, what other connotations that 'off you' have?'she asked belligerently. He  shook his head in slight shock and amusement he was surprised to feel. He knew she wasn't serious. 'Just who are you? Amelia was most adamant that I not hurt you.'

'I'm Cameron Ballard,'he told her.  He was expecting the excitement and adoration.  She just looked blankly at him. 'I play football. The quarterback of the New York Giants.'

'Doesn't ring a bell,'she told him. He was shocked. 'I don't follow any sports and rarely tune in to celebrity news. So I apologise if I don't recognise you. Look, can we just go to sleep? In separate beds. I'm not up to arguing with you at this time in the night.'

That was when Cameron realised that she really didn't know him. She wasn't coming onto him, there had been no suggestion in either tone or words.  But instead of being relieved, he was strangely disappointed.

'Yeah, let's go to sleep,'he said and when he started picking up his duffel bag, she looked so relieved that he had to leave a parting shot. 'I like to leave my door open when I sleep and welcome company. So if you have any nightmares, you are welcome to sleep with me anytime.'

He hid his smile while he left her sputtering.