Chapter 6

Sharon waved Cameron good bye as he sped off. She took a deep breath and turned to the door of the building.  The building was huge, at least 50 storeys high and it was all owned by Scott. The exterior was sleek and modern, clean lines with a lot of windows. When she got into the building, she was not surprised to see that the interior mirrored the exterior.

The lobby was bustling. People rushing in and out. The elevators were manned by a few security guards and you needed a pass to enter. Sharon approached the front desk and was immediately intimidated by the receptionist.

The receptionist looked soo beautiful and put together. Her makeup was done right, her clothes were impeccable and she was soo well put together. Just looking at her made Sharon feel frumpy and underdressed. Which she shouldn't feel. She had little clothes but her work clothes were professional.

'Hi, I'm here for an interview with Mr Daniels,'she told the receptionist, whose name was Haley. Well that was what her name tag said. She ignored her. 'Hello?' She started tapping the counter with her fingernails, hoping that she would annoy her enough to attend to her. It worked.

'Yes, miss?' Haley asked derisively. She did a once over of Sharon and nd clearly found her lacking. 'Mr Daniels does not have an interview today.'

'Well, could you call his office and ask?'she requested pleasantly. She gave Haley a steely look and she complied. She saw her eyes widen before shooting Sharon a shocked look.

'This is your pass,' Haley said after putting down the phone. Her tone had changed. It was more professional now. 'Please proceed to the 6th floor and Simon will direct you to the conference room. He will meet you at the elevator landing.'

Sharon thought she had handled that we'll and hadn't given in to her desire to gloat. She showed to the guard her pass and spent the short trip up in silence.

She met the aforementioned Simon.  He wad a tall man, almost as tall as Cameron.  He was slim and pasty white. He clearly didn't see the sunlight often. He was perfunctory in his interaction with her. She felt a bit cold.

'Mr Daniels will be in soon,'he told her as he left the conference room. She sat down and awaited her interviewer. Hopefully he wouldn't take long.

  - ------@@@@@-------

After close to an hour, the man finally came in. Sharon was fuming by then. She had gone down to the reception 3 times to ask about him and had the same answer. 'He will be with you shortly.'

She gave the man, Mr Daniels, a scathing look. He was in his late forties, early fifties but he has aged well. He still had a full head of hair, a strapping body and his face was showing the face of a man in his early forties. He was an attractive man but that did not excuse him being an hour late for an interview, no matter how last minute it is.

'I'm sorry, Miss Ashwood,'he said as he settled down across her. 'I was caught up in a meeting. I hope I had not inconvenienced you?'

''Well, at least he apologised,''she tried to console herself. However, the anger did not abate. She just gave him a slight smile.

'Good, good,'he said. 'Now, Mr Garnet has spoken well of you and wants to put you in a junior accountant role. I have looked over your credentials and found them impeccable. More than suited for the role.' Sharon was feeling good about the interview, when what he said next inflamed her further. 'However, I cannot in all honesty approve your employment. You have been brought to my attention by Mr Garnet and I do not like to open my department to criticism. People may say that you were hired because of your connection to Mr Garnet and your work is less than exemplary. Which will leave more work for the other accountants. In short, you will be a hassle, a hassle that we don't need. So in short, I will reject your application. Hope you have a good day.'